Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear-end Safety?

Alaskossie

With talk of carrying spare tires, headrests in rear-end collisions, etc. I was wondering if anyone had considered carrying some sort of foam-filled spare tire, to be intended primarily for protection in a rear-end collision in a Seven?

If this was a dedicated spare tire for occasional flat-tire use only, and not rotated around for road use, then issues of heat build-up, odd handling, etc. might not be significant.

In 1964 I was a passenger in a head-on with a maple tree at 60 mph, in a 356 Porsche. The front-mounted spare held its air, and may have deflected the crash away from dead-center; the right tire was jammed backwards behind the wheelwell. (Notwithstanding, the cowl-mounted fuel tank cracked, and was leaking fuel onto our legs when help arrived).

A lap belt prevented a fatality, but I had a number of facial fractures; the driver, also lap-belted, had a broken wrist, hip and ankle.

Just an idea, for passive safety in a Seven..... (from one who is not yet a Seven owner).

I also have a piece between the front of the fuel tank and the diff, as a heavy rear impact would push the thin walled ali tank directly into the diff. The diff has a few nasty sharp bits on it so I did this as a small precaution

I guess a rear spare wheel could spread any impact a little.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 22 Jan 2006 13:42:57

Yep. Honeycomb crash protection and a block of that very light but stiff blue foam behind the Tillet.

Rollbar foam on all the tubes anywhere near my head. You'd be amazed how far your neck will stretch without snapping...

3" belts and 6 pointer - really must change the crotch ones for the type that don't ball break...

Plumbed in Fire ext with nozzle to the rear - might give a little more time.

Also pad the right right angle edge under the dash/scuttle; In a frontal this will cut or break your leg(s).

One of the pics in MSA blue book of 2002-2003 was a crash scene of 7's; one had it's tank/rear on fire... the driver jumping out as marshalls ran to put it out...

Have you timed yourself as to how quickly you can get out your 7? Ok to do it with the car on it's wheels, now imagine doing it upside down...

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 24 Jan 2006 08:52:03

Finmac, as I said I don't yet own a 7 so I can't speak from direct experience (except having lived here since 1967). But Alaska has nearly 24 hrs of daylight every day from May thru August, which offers a lot of good drive time. I just wish we had more paved roads (though the absence of the plod on the long rural roads we do have is a real benefit).

There is one Caterham SV in Anchorage that I know about, and there was a Series 2 that autocrossed a lot (don't know if it's still here). Lots of grand scenery to see here, as you can imagine...

Stephen,

It was packing foam used to protect equipment racks during shipping.

Very light but firm - sounds like my ideal woman 😬

The skip outside my old work always had a healthy stock of the stuff. Quite nice large chunks - easy to cut and glue into larger pieces too.

You could try a delivery sort of company.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 23 Jan 2006 21:57:57

Flooring insulation might be too rigid to ever crush, some of it is designed for loads up to 400-500kg per sq metre. Might help stop the Tillet flexing though, and reduce noise in the cockpit.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

It was packing foam used to protect equipment racks during shipping.
Err, you might want to set light to a bit of that stuff (in the car park away from everything else!) as if it's the stuff I'm thinking of, it's far from fire retardant *eek*

Having said that I use similar stuff for trackday 'padding' instead of the seat base; it has a very low melting point (so not nice if sticks to you in a fire) but it doesn't burn.

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Going back to the original subject of protection from the rear mounted spare, i was particularly pleased that I took mine when on USA2005. We were rear ended by a Honda in Austin on the second day of the tour (he drove off in a cloud of tyre smoke naturally). It was a pretty big thump and when I got out I feared the worse, maybe split tank, suspension damage, but no, it just bent the spare wheel on its fixing and bu**ered the wheel carrier and number plate. A definite result since we had another 3700 miles to go at that point.

When I do my next tour - the spare's coming along and I'm beginning to think about some of the other stuff on this thread too.

Ian