Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Holeshot are they any good?

tiddy1

Looking into a big power turbo hayabusa (not for my seven) and have been drawn to holshot (bit like a black hole really)

I am surprised that they keep stock pistons and rods up to 380 bhp?

Also they don't mention changing the output shaft, which all the grass track boys say will fail even at 200 bhp let alone 450.

I know Adam Hay has an engine from them, is it running yet? is it any good?

How does the power commander ecu compare to DTA, Mocal etc as they seem a lot of money and only have half the features

Looking at Adams Mega busa the engine + turbo does not really fit, has anyone looked at a canadian site 'left hand drive sevens' wher they put a neat chain drive on the output and curved inlets so they can shift the engine across to the right so it fits in with no power

bulge

is there an easier way to fit a busa in a seven, from Adams web page it looked like serious amounts of work.

Simon

Now the output shaft on a bike i would guess have far less loading on it then in a grass tracker.

On a bike on contact patch is smallish and pretty constant amount of grip, on a grass tracker two contact patchs but more importantly it will be a hugely varying amount of grip therefore transmitting shock loads back to the gearbox.

The happy handle made me do it

I'm no busa expert but I suspect the engine sticks out of the car to maintain the installed angle of the engine for oil drainage etc . Then the position in the engine bay would be determined by the ideal angle (or least comprimised) for the prop shaft without the use of a chain transfer .

I guess its a question of performance or packaging ? *smile*

For what its worth have had some contact with the turbo hyabusa that Holeshot built for the privately owned white D?X that is often seen on their booths and at trackdays. Also Holeshot did a good job of mapping a ZXR12 engined D?X as well

As far as I know the turcbo car is over 2 years old, engine never been out of the car, and is wet sump. Think it gives around 380 at max boost

As car is mostly used for sprints it tends not to get long runs and indeed both at Brands and at Bassingbourne this year did not run more than 3-4 quick laps before needing a period of slow runningto cool everything down

Mike, yes it is Duncan Cowpers car and it was sold a few weeks ago.

From what I understand the new owner has already blown the engine to the 4 winds and it is back at Holeshot for a major rebuild.

Thats why I mentioned the bit about continued hot laps as I don't know whether the cooling issue is inherent in this application or just reflects Duncans desire to keep everything as small and light as possible.

Although a confirmed K series man myself I have indirect experience of a wet sump hyabusa W???field which went through 3 engines in less than a year, Duncans car which as mentioned has been incredibly reliable for such power, and my daughters partners ZXR engined car which touch wood has been fantastically reliable, quick (and noisy)