Click here if you are having website access problems ×

towing a 7 on dolly trailer

cat boy

Hi

thinking of buying a dolly trailer to take the 7 to sprints next year,

with the back wheels on the road and the ignition off will the 7 still record the miles as it could get exspensive on the limited mileage insurance

Cheers cat boy

Ex acadamy car 2002, yellow and black 😬

Hi

It is the digital type, so if it does record the mileage looks like i need a brian james trailer.

Does any one know the o/a size of one as it will need to live in a standard garage?.

Cheers cat boy

Ex acadamy car 2002, yellow and black 😬

Might be worth checking this out more. I researched the idea of towing with a dolly before I got my trailer and the general consensus of opinion from dolly suppliers was that it would be illegal unless used for breakdown purposes or something similar. No idea if this is actually the case , but might be worth a little investigation first.

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here New, improved version!

Drive it like you stole it! *eek*

*arrowup* Why?

Many agricultural contractors tow a van on an A-frame behind their machinery. Can't see this would be any different. It's no different to towing a trailer.

The towed vehicle does need to have it's RFL up to date.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

IIRC, the brakes need to operate all the wheels in contact with the floor, which means the rear brakes on the car must function too.

Chris is right though. A-frames and dolly's are illegal except for recovery to the nearest safe place or repair centre.

Did lots of research on this before giving in and stumping up for a Minno...

A friend of mine used a dolly for years to tow his Caterham to sprints all over the country, never had a sniff of a problem (except when he towed it home in gear...). Still, it could turn out pretty serious if it invalidated your insurance (though I'm not sure it could).

Mike