Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake disc story

Anton

This doesn't relate to Sevens (at least, I hope not):

My wife recently took her Mazda2 in for its first service, based on time rather than mileage. She was told that the brake discs would need machining to remove the lip at the next service and probably replacing at the service after that. When she asked why (she's not a heavy braker), she was told that after the manufacturers stopped using asbestos in the pads, the discs did not have to be made so hard, as the pad material was softer. But now that there are metal flakes in the pads, the discs are wearing more quickly (a lot more quickly, IMO, if they need replacing after two year's use!). *thumbdown* *thumbdown* The upside is that discs are now only £50 each, instead of £100+............. *confused*

I've had three cars which have exceeded 70,000 miles (Morris 1300GT/Morris1300GT/Astra) and three that have exceeded 100,000 (all Mazda 626s), all hard driven, without needing new discs so it definitely sounds odd to me

Has anyone else heard this story, or would one of our more technically experienced brethren like to voice an opinion?

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

Not sure if this helps, but I had the OE discs on my bike (Fireblade - so plenty of hard braking... bit not much weight so prob balances out?) for 3 years. Then one got twisted and I replaced them with cast iron ones.

About same time I started using higher performance sintered pads... have been through a pair a year ever since as they wear super-thin. And these are £200 a pair!

Dealers favourite for making money IMHO

My VW caddy was given a hard life on the brakes dealer told me at 27,000 the pads needed changing,

at 36,000 pads and disc were apparently needed

i replaced the pads myself at 63,000 and the discs were within tolerance at 116,000 when i serviced it prior to selling it

Volvo dealer in Edinburgh.

V70 in for routine service 40 K. Mobile rings. Sir your front brake discs are worn beyond their wear limit & all your brake pads need replacing. Ok, leave all the extra work, I'll buy the parts & do the job myself.

Buy all said parts to the tune of about £300. Get parts home & compare new with old. Micrometer tells me old discs still have 3mm left on them & all the brake pads are about 60 % of their original thickness, the front being slightly more worn than the rears.

Phone service manager, he transfers the call to the supervisor in the workshop. He gets the "technician" on the phone. I inform him of my findings........................long silence. Monkey...err sorry, technician, was looking at the "wrong page in the book" apperently.

Bring all the parts back & we'll give you a full refund sir. I should think so too. BTW if I had given them the go-ahead to do the work I was looking at the thick end of £500 😳

Moral of the story.............I'll leave you to decide 🤔

At what cost to machine? Discs are cheap enough. There's a minimum permissable thickness. After that you change them.

The diff between max thinckness and min is usually 2mm (I ran my Passat fronts to 21.76mm when the minimum spec was 23mm 😳 - didn't mean to do that and don't advocate it but they were in fine fettle, no cracks or warping when I replaced them).

The reason there is a lip is cos the pad doesn't wipe the entire face. If the disk is serviceable, fitting new pads won't really get hurt by the lip, they bed in PDQ. it's a waste to fit new pads on disc that won't outlast the pads as you MUST change pads when you change discs.

4 new discs and pads for my Passat cost me ~£130 from GSF. They were Brembo and Pagid - original fittment parts...

Beware! There is virtually no margin in new car sales. They make the money in Service and Parts! YHBW.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 20 Jul 2005 22:23:34

Had a similar thing on my Vectra a few years ago. Dealer rings and says that front brakes were worn out. I knew they were talking carp as I had checked them two weeks previously while fixing a puncture. Told him to go and check himself with his own eyes. He never rang back .....

Its that sort of thing that gives dealers a bad name

Ventilated discs don't seem to last as long as the solid ones, probably because corrosion can get in between the two faces. Iv'eJust changed the discs and pads at 70.000 miles on my 1997 2 litre Mondeo. £56.00 in total, easy to do apart from the original discs rusting themselves to the hubs which needed a large puller and a bit of heat to free up.

The reason there is a lip is cos the pad doesn't wipe the entire face. If the disk is serviceable, fitting new pads won't really get hurt by the lip, they bed in PDQ

I think the usual recommendation (certainly says so here on my Pagid installation guide from Performance Braking) is just to chamfer the edges of the pad to avoid the lip. I wouldn't just slap new pads straight on (YMMV regarding how deep the lip is etc.) as you won't get much pad-disc contact initially.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Support Team

I got exactly the same when I put my Seat Leon Cupra R in for service last year. Phone call to say that pads were worn out (after only 12k miles *eek*) - I said that can't be right as I don't hammer the brakes and 12k isn't a lot. Got a call back a few minutes later to say that they had been checking against the spec for the standard brakes and not the huge Brembos fitted to the Cupra R *mad*. All in all my local Seat dealer are pretty useless. Great car but not sure I'd have another - Seat want to be VW group's Alfa Romeo and it looks like they went to the same school of service (I had an Alfa previously 😳).

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I've got a Seat Ibiza Cupra which I do give a hard time, 56k miles on and I'm still running the original discs and pads *eek*. However, wear on the pedals in order is the accelerator, clutch then brake *eek*Maybe I'm not using them enough *confused*

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools.