Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is the best non road legal wet weather tyre

Alex Wong1697456877

I hate driving in the wet. I've tried 021's and CR500's and they're ok but at best, they were at the good end of crap. I tried some ancient worn out Avon cut wets (oldfashioned wet tread cut slicks) at Brands a few years ago and they were MILES better than the CR500's - I assume because they are soft enough to generate heat, even in the wet.

So I think I'd like to invest in a set of dedicated wet weather track tyres - what's good?

Alex,

I bought a set of part worn wets from George Polley at £30 a boot. They are Avons but I can't remember the exact type. They really are very good in the wet and certainly worth the investment.

If GP can't help you, try Jason at Protyre on 01782 791 739.

Cheers,

Ben

what size wheels have you got ?

if same as an R400 then the race wets that they used last year were excellent.(this year they use CR500's)

The new CSR race wets are also excellent - Avon will be able to tell you what wheels sizes can handle them.

regards

fc

• 4 weeks later...
. The front is more prone to aquaplaning than the rear, so not-too-wide fronts would seem to be a good idea.

But in my experience, braking hard in the wet, the rears lose traction first as they are more prone to aquaplaning under braking (as the weight is on the front tyres). Spinning off the track (in my case Llandow) because the rears are aquaplaning is a scary situation (as you can't correct it with opposite lock!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*