Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox for VVC

Charles Griffin

Does anyone have experience of Caterham's current 6-speed gearbox option for the VVC? I'd be grateful for any advice on the relative merits of 5 vs. 6 speeds, given: (a) the car will be for road use only (with occasional track days - hopefully), (b) the option costs £1500!!! © the VVC appears to be well endowed with bottom end torque.

Whatever your engine, you WILL benefit from a 6 speeder.

A lot of people mention the fact that the 6 speeder's 6th gear is a 1:1 ratio, just like 4th in the standard 5 speed (type 9) box. They will tell you that this compromises motorway cruising, but what they don't tell you is the final drive is different. On 5 speeders, the diff is 3.92:1, yet on the 6 speeders the diff is 3.62:1. This partly compensates for the loss of the overdriven 5th.

I have to say, I worried about motorway cruising before I bought my new SLR as I do most of my Se7ening on the roads, but I will never look back now. It's a fantastic box. It takes a bit of warming up before the lever snicks from ratio to ratio easily, but that might be because I've only done 3000 miles. Anyway, once fully warmed up (which should be an important thing for any Se7ener to recognise) it is a joy to use. OK, you can cruise at 40mph in any one of 5 gears, but that's missing the point.... which is, no matter what speed you are at, your engine will always have the opportunity to be in the right rev-range. The ratios are well chosen. You don't have that stupid 1st gear which plagues the standard 5 speeder - that was designed to allow a heavy Sierra to tow a caravan up a hill. Totally inconsistent with the use a Caterham will put it to.

The case is alloy, which I believe gives a considerable weight saving over the standard 5 speeder's cast iron case.

Having the double H gate imprinted on the gear lever also gives me a sense of pride. How many of your friends have 6 speed boxes?

Well, no. A couple of reasons really, but be aware they are personal preferences only:

1. The Quaife will cost about a million squillion quid more than even the Caterham box.

2. Sequential doesn't mean faster changes. If you have a sequential AND dog-engagement, which means you can have clutchless changes, then you will have a MUCH faster gear change. I had a normal "H" dog box in a Mini many years ago and liked it, BUT you can never take things easy with them. You have to ram the b*stard home each gear change. A syncro-sequential will still need the assistance of the clutch, although it can be said for all gearboxes you don't need the clutch if you can accurately rev-match. Not something I'd recommend without the kind of uprated dog-teeth you find in a dog-box. A syncro-sequential has the disadvantage that if you have an "off" in 4th for example, you can't drop it straight into 1st to get back underway again. Nor can you easily knock it into neutral. Personally, if I wanted a full-race box, I'd probably go for a dog engaged H box.

It's a personal preference though..... wink.gif

Charles, where can you get a Caterham six speed box for 1,500.00 pounds? Caterham are quoting me 1,950.00. I was going to post the same question so your's was timely. The quaiffe sequential six speed has dog engagement, and the option of an overdrive sixth, which means you don't have to change the diff ratio. This makes the price of 2,950.00 reasonably competetive, particularly for me because I would have to ship my diff back to U.K. for modification. (no european ford parts or service here in Dubai.) I would be very interested to hear from anyone who fits one.

Mike, £1500 is the price quoted in Caterham's options price list dated October 1999, ie. for new cars only (presumably) and representing the extra-over cost compared with the standard 5-speed. I don't know whether this allows for substitution of the standard 3.92:1 diff.

For what it's worth I had a VVC last year with a 5 speed box and it was ideal. The engine so tractable through the revs you don't need any more ratios. With a 6 speed you will just end up playing hopscotch on the gearstick. But that's just MHO.

Davebo

C7 CAR

I think you need to try the normal 5 speeder, a 6 speeder and an adjusted 5 speeder (something like what Brian Hill or Steve Perks produces with Quaife gearsets) before you can make your mind up objectively. I've tried all 3 and reckon the normal 5 speeder is pointless. First gear was designed for heavy Sierras towing a caravan up a hill. 1st only takes a Caterham to around 20mph at max, then there's a great big "hole" before you hit 2nd. 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are OKish, but 5th is too "long". You need a powerful engine to max it in 5th.

One of the adjusted 5 speeders will give you a longer 1st, then all the rest will be closed up finishing with a shorter 5th. This means motorway cruising is done at slightly higher revs, but if you want a motorway cruiser you are in the wrong car.

I liked Alex Wong's SPC 5 speeder. Fantastic ratios that suited his mighty Vauxhall well.

The 6 speeder just takes that "closeness" one step further. See if you can try them all. It's quite illuminating.

Edited by - V7 SLR on 8 May 2000 10:32:50

I've had my VVC with six-speed box for around two years now and it's been perfect for the roads; admittedly you do a bit more work and the VVC doesn't really need it, but it is far more fun in my opinion. I hated the five-speed Caterham supply (had one in the Vauxhall previously), so the six was a natural choice. I like to try and keep things simple in the car, so I wouldn't know about other boxes, but in my experience the standard six is fantastic for road use - track stuff is another issue and find short-shifts needed in some places where a five would have the legs.

I have a Caterham six speed in my VVC and I am really pleased with it. I had a five speed in my previous Caterham so have had experience of both, so to help you with your decision, I would say that for road use both the five or six speed boxes are ok, although the six speed is a bit more fun. For track use however, where the five speed sometimes needs a "half gear" you will always find the right ratio somewhere in the six speed box.

I hope this helps.