Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1993 1400K Supersport questions

Brucey

I have recently purchased the above with 33K miles. Generally, the car has been well looked after with no signs of abuse. Just to get me started, can anyone please help with the following: I'm a competent DIY mechanic (I had to be, I had a Lotus Elan S4 25 years ago!)

1. Rattle from back end when going around bumpy corners fast. On advice, I tried changing the rear De dion bush, but C.Cars gave me 2 bushes and the one in the car looks like a single bush (still in fairly good condition) do I have a later set up, or do I replace the single bush for the 2?

2. Bought a foam baffle (someones having a laugh at £8). Will I need to change the sump gaskit on a 12 year old car and do I have to pay C.Cars over £30 or will a Rover one fit?

3. Tick over sometimes hunts. Reading other threads, looks like I should stop removing the bat cut off and re-set ECU. Is it: Ignition on, throttle 5 times slowly, ignition off?

4. I rarely rev it over 6K (Chris Clark had to show me what the 'other' light on the dash was for!). Can I use semi synthetic oil? How much do I put in for an oil, filter & foam change? I know I need to check the level with the engine running.

5. I extracted a dead felt washer thing from the LH Front wheel. Purchased a new one from C.Cars. are these staight forward to change?

6. I'm still coming terms jacking the car up (Trolly jack). Rear end I use the middle of the De dion tube (after using 2 scissor jacks to clear the silencer across the back, yes if anyone has a cheep side exhaust let me know!) The front 'towing eye' just doesnt look strong enough! then again, nothing else does either! a wooden block on the 'U' section cross member looks my next best option. Any hints?

7. I don't know if its had a cam belt. Even though the car has only done 33K, at 12 years old, should I change it anyway, Is it an easy job and can I use a Rover one? (Ive changed the timing belt on my 205 deisel several times, so now you know why the 7 doesn't get revved too high!)

8. Which W/shop manual/s should I buy (the Caterham one seems a bit 'lacking'!)

That will keep me going for a while!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bruce.

Brucey

The sump gasket is reuseable, the ECU reset procedure is correct, I'm still jacking my 13 year old up on the towing eyes

The cam belt change isn't to difficult, access is easy but the bottom pulley has to be removed and the bolt is very tight.

To replace the felt washer/seal the brake capiler needs to be removed and then the whole hub assembly removed - but it isn't difficult.

1. Rattle from back end when going around bumpy corners fast. On advice, I tried changing the rear De dion bush, but C.Cars gave me 2 bushes and the one in the car looks like a single bush (still in fairly good condition) do I have a later set up, or do I replace the single bush for the 2?

Assuming you have a de-dion then you should have a single metalastic bush, one in each of the 3 mounting points for the a-frame. Think the part number is PB636/2. these can be difficult to remove.

Also check the tightness of the trailing arms / watts at the belcrank located on to of the DD tube on both sides of the car. Any play in this point can lead to rattles - It took me the best part of 6 months to find my rattle...