Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow Exhaust Gastket .... again

Burt1969

Hi everyone, I'm now on my third type of gasket, last set was from redline, before that I had the copper ones and the time before that from caterham. Each time it blows in the middle of the centre gasket. Now I am assuming that the flange has probably warped over time and I can only see three solutions.

1. Take to an engineering firm and have the flange milled flat. How easy is this going to be with the pipes attached?

2. Have a new flange welded on.

3. Get a new set of middle primaries.

Thoughts comments and any idea of costs would be very much appreciated. *thumbup*

Our Kitty!

If you are thinking about option 3 I have a complete rear exit exhaust system sitting in the garage. It is the standard (for the time) 4:2:1manifold and I never had any problems with gaskets. I changed to a 4:1 because of other engine upgrades earlier this year.

I was thinking about trying to flog the complete old exhaust sometime (if I ever got round to it) but I see from the pic yours is a side exit. Still, if this is a possibility and your only option drop me an email.

Mike

File it flat using the outer two flanges as a datum. Use a long steel rule as a straight edge.

There you go - a free fix! And yo don't get much for free nowadays, do you!?! *wink* *thumbup*

We will mend it We will fix it...

Burt,

I've the same problem, - 2 gaskets in 2 months.

Personally i'm taking in the whole picture here. - My next guess - Engine mounts.

My car is 1996, and could probably do with new ones, to stop the engire rocking, and putting strain on that gasket.

But.... also my exhaust is awfully hard to line up, ie. - it's natural position isn't where the exhaust port meets the manifold. - I've got to give it a bit of persuasion to line up. *confused* confused too.

So it looks like option 4 then!! Back to CSE Metalwork and file 😬 *thumbup*. Will have to wait until I move house now as most things are packed away. Seven is going to a friends soon to sit in their recently cleared out garage so don't want it in bits for too long... *thumbup*

Our Kitty!

Had the same problem, had the flange checked and as Asklepios say's it was well out…. Machined the flange for £10, bought the RK gaskets and have has 18 months trouble free and have taken them off and refitted them twice.

Guy

IT'S MANGO AND THAT'S THE END OF THE MATTER

• 2 months later...

Burt

Sorry you are still having problems with this *mad*

Assuming cylinder head mounting is flat also - obvious I know

If the bolts were overtightened / on an uneven surface the flange can lift in the middle simply by the action of the bolts pressing down at the ends -IYSWIM

Nick

I am obviously lucky that I run without gasgets, although I think I have a dab of goo on the center manifold.

Had the same problem until I filed the flange flat using the outer edges as a datum as previously mentioned here, fitted the RK copper gaskets and have had no problems since.

However, I saw on a German xflow owners car that he had had the original flange removed and a much thicker (10 or 12 mm) one welded on. No problems!

I think the problem may be the result of even a small amount of bowing under the pressure of the bolts / fixings. my new powerspeed system with flanges absolutely flat blew a little even with 7 workshop copper gaskets.

A smear of silicone sealant on both sides of the gasket cured the problem *thumbup*

David

1989 1700XF SS with upgraditis

I've posted on this before, had the same problem which I solved (after some advice from Steve Parker) by having a Van Dieman formula Ford center exhaust flange welded onto my centre primaries. The problem with this joint is that it doesn't have a center bolt to hold it against the head between the two siamesed exhaust ports, and the standard flange is too thin, hence the warping away from the mating surface when hot which can cause the blowing gaskets. The Van Deiman part is at least twice as thick as the standard Caterham Header flange, and since getting this fitted have never had a reccurance of the problem. I can't remember the name of the company that did the work, only that they reside in the Croydon area and do lots of stuff for exotic engines and racing exhausts. Give Steve Parker a ring. His ads in Low Flying every month.

HI Midnight, so, how thick is the Van Dieman flange compared to the original part? My centre flange and those on the outer pipes are about 10mm thick, is this the sort of thing you're talking about, and I've never experienced any blowing, using common or garden Ford gaskets in these positions, always torque to the Ford recommended level, can't remember what it is now, but not very high.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

• Leadership Team

Burt

you may want to follow the link below - had exactly the same problem as you. Now cured with the support bracket mentioned on the link. If you want piccies I'll try and find where I've put them.

email off line if you want

Rog *thumbup*

here