Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brakes; Caterham vs Alcon

jmb123

Thinking of uprating the front brakes and theres two

choices. Caterhams or Alcons.

Pro & Cons for both.

Caterhams, 10" diameter, therefore heavier. Needs up graded

master cylinder otherwise excessive pedal travel, Total cost

around 695 + 157= 852. as opposed to 570 for alcons.

caterhams replacment discs are 120 each as opposed to 15.

Has anybody done comparison tests of both, what do people

think are best?

cheers

Andy

I've not compared the alcons to the caterham AP setup, but I have gone from the standard caterham small brakes/small master cylinder to the caterham big AP brakes but retaining the small master cylinder and I dont think the pedal travel is excessive. I'm sure many will disagree, but thats my view on the subject.

I have the Caterham big brakes and did not see the real benefits until I fitted the uprated master cylinder. There was excessive pedal travel.

Dave

TRY 5S

Buzzin' Bee It's never too late for a happy childhood *cool* *cool* *cool*

You don't stop playing because you get old

You get old because you stop playing

Big difference is vented discs on the AP set from Caterham. These will give better heat dissipation. Whether you need this depends on why you feel the need to upgrade.

If you use the car on the road and the current brakes don't overheat but you just feel you'd like a bit more braking effort each time you use them then that says go for the Alcons with solid discs.

If you use the car a lot on the track (or perhaps seriously hard on the road) and you have a habit of fading the standard brakes by overheating them then more braking will make the situation worse. In that case you will also want the extra heat rejection from vented discs so the AP set up is the way to go.

On the assumption that a major benefit of big brakes is the improved cooling/lack of fade is there a benefit over std brakes (particularly if fitted with Pagids) if just for road use? I've got limited budget for upgrades and would rather spend it on engine mods.

I use a standard pedal & M/C with the Alcon brakes. The standard discs (cheap to replace) are retained. James Whiting says the piston sizes have been carefully calculated so that the standard M/C can be retained. For me it works & I also like green stuff pads for the front & standard for the rear.

On the road I have a firm pedal all the time. On track the pedal travel increases but the brake efficiency is still more than sufficient.

Rick: If I were you & just using the car for road use I'd stick with the standard brakes. I've never used Pagid pads so can't comment but others who have used the Hawk metalic type pads say these give nearly as good improvement as fitting bigger brakes. Even if they do wear the discs out prematurely at £15 a throw they're cheaper than the pads.

Edited by - Mick Day on 31 Oct 2004 09:59:39

Mick,

Thanks, those are exactly the sort of words/advice I was hoping to hear - but I've never heard of 'Hawk metallic type pads'. Could you enlighten me further.

Also toying with the idea of a high ratio pedal. Any idea of the cost (I'm being lazy 'cos I've a feeling it's in the archives somewhere).

Hi, What effect does the slightly larger Caterham disc have, if any, over the standard solid one, in terms of grabbing ability of the caliper. Am i right in thinking that the greater the diameter, the easier the brakes work? A bit like stopping a spinning bike wheel by grabbing it, easy at the edge, but impossible near the hub.

cheers

Andy

To echo Chelspeed's post - For 90% of use, a solid disc is fine - but if you really pound the brakes, they get damned hot. I cracked a vented AP disc at Magny Cours after subjecting it to repeated braking from flat out for the two slow corners and suspect a solid disc would have fared even less well. I could be talking complete crap but I feel happier with the ventilated AP setup for the sort of use subject my car too, but I've never even seen an Alcon setup.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 1 Nov 2004 09:16:04

I've never heard of any incidences of solid front disks cracking but I of know of a few vented discs that 've cracked. That's not to say there's anything wrong with vented discs but it would be nice to have more data on this.

The Alcon calipers are very similar to the AP, take the same pad shape (I think), but have different piston sizes. Paul Harvey ran these calipers for the 24 hour Nurburgring race a few years back. Anybody remember how the discs fared?

Edited by - Mick Day on 1 Nov 2004 11:56:03