Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Ache

wjw

Finally got around to sorting out a replacement for front warped brake disc, 10" vented AP item, but was met with a pain in the wallet. £120+VAT each from Dartford.

Is there an alternative item??? since I only potter around country lanes, no racing and no track, ultimate performance is not so vital.

Thanks for wise words.

JW

How did you manage to warp them just pottering about with no track use?

This is a serious question, since I've just upgraded from small brakes to big brakes, and I do a lot of track work and was under the impression that the big brakes were 'bulletproof'.

No they're unique *thumbdown*

If you're serious about being a potterer and aren't really using the big brakes as they are intended, then if I were you I'd put an ad. in Wanted for the boggo brake set-up. You should be able to get everything from an upgrader for about £100 😬

Next you sell your big brake set-up to me for £120 *tongue*

Net result: you're happy, I'm happy and you're 20 squid in pocket *wink*

Paul

Brake discs do not warp in the simple sense - too much heat = bendy disc. Poor bedding in of the pads causes localised formation of cementite (form of cast iron). This provides an uneven surface wear and results in an uneven braking surface. If you don't bed you pads in right this will happen on any brake disc.

The AP discs are superb if treated properly.

Paul,

Like a lot of "potterers", I put on the AP big brakes to move the brake balance forward as I was constantly hitting rear-wheel lockup. While this phenomonen is fun when intentional, it is scary on a wet road when a car pulls out in front of you and you start to pirouette gracefully towards him!

Peter,

What is the correct bedding in procedure?

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 14 Sep 2004 14:43:21