Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fireblade weight

Graeme Smith

I'd forgotten the hubs. As I recall they are over a kg heavier per side than alloy hubs.

Also I've made my own wing stays out of duralumin which saves a bit as well.

The tonneau for the boot is 0.8mm aluminium sheet and no boot floor - another kg saved!!

And saddest of all - no nosecone grille *eek* *eek*

Barry

The front hubs and brakes are an area of concern at the mo as I am having problems with brakes binding (see separate thread). However, in terms of upgrades, unsprung weight loss is even more of a holy grail. I was thinking about the Caterham uprated ally hubs, but they seem to be more about brute strength to withstand R400 racing abuse than light weight. I would also guess the AP 4-pots and vented discs are heavy and overkill for a light car. I'd be interested to investigate the ideas of 2-pot calipers mated to thin (and *light*) bike-derived floating discs.

Anybody got any thoughts on this route? Would a thin solid, disc dissipate the heat from circuit use?

Standard solid disks are mandatory for a lot of racing classes, such as all the grads series like megagrads. Front disk temperatures are manageable even with full on racing. My car has standard disks and Wilwood 4 pot calipers, which is a big improvement in terms of weight.

SEP field working, not spotted in 102,200 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 10 June

The weight difference between my home made loom and a Caterham K series one is shocking, probably far more than that which could be gained by changing all the GRP to CF, and for about £20 worth of wire, tape and terminals from Maplin / RS.

My rear lights (the Lucas type as fitted by Lotus in the 60s ) are far lighter and much prettier than the standard Caterham/Caravan things... there's progress *wink*

The Honda fusebox and relay rack are matchbox sized (and of similar mass) against the Caterham things which are larger than a family sized pie

Mmmmmm.... Pie *tongue*

Mark

Look it's Mavis here and Jubilee 7 here