Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seven Secure ?

Jam Mad

hello all,

i thought i'd appeal to the collective wisdom of the forum with regards to alarms and stuff but first....

I BOUGHT MY FIRST SEVEN THIS WEEKEND !!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAHHHHHHHH !

(sorry, but i've wanted one since i was a twelve year old schoolboy, fifteen years ago)

anyway... it has a vecta immobiliser already fitted but i'm considering adding to it with a bike alarm. i will also look at the added extra of either a pager or mobile 'phone alarm alert; my garage is in the next road, so a conventional alarm could go off all night and i wouldn't hear it.

has anyone any experience of good alarms for sevens ? any clues about the efficiency of remote pager/ phone alert gizmos ?

also.. garage security.. any golden tips please ?

thanks for any help.. if no one knows much, i'll be sure to let you know what i find out if it's useful.

cheers,

james

q601 rfm

ps checked the archives, couldn't find much.

I've not heard of a Seven being stolen, but I've heard of bits being stolen from a Seven. Make sure the car is physically secure - a padlock and chain through the wheels to something solid in the garage - or the garage itself. A removable steering wheel also helps - how many thieves carry a spare?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Seven Ownership,

Dave H

Jim,

I agree - a big motorcycle chain through a front wheel and through the wishbone means they won't be able to nick it without cutting the chain or the wishbone, which makes it tricky to drive!!. However, remember four strong guys could lift the whole thing on to a trailer if determined enough, so also chaining it throush a substantial concreted staple in the floor would also be a good idea

Paul

James,

I went down the removable steering wheel and wheel clamp route. The wheel clamp is a little more expensive than a chain, but very obvious and acts more as a deterrant than anything else.

Good luck,

Peter

Garage security. If you have windows, put curtains in them and screw two metal bars across each frame.

Don't advertise the fact that there is a car inside,some people put stickies on the doors, and keep the appearance the same as others if in a row. An extra padlock on the outside with hasp secured to the wall is usually a good idea, and cover the car with a white sheet or similar so prying eyes can't see what it is through any gaps.

If you have wooden swing open doors, insert 'hinge bolts'in the door hanging uprights on both sides. A thief won't be able to get past these without a hell of a noise.

If you are really paranoid get a blacksmith to make up a 'thru staple'. This is basically a strip of thick steel or angle iron, the same width as the garage, not the door, with a circle staple welded to it. The staple must be welded at a point along the steel so as to poke through a hole you make in a suitable place in the closing door (the last door to close). Make up or buy two 'u'shaped holders to make a carrier for the cross piece steel in and bolt them to the inside of the door uprights on either side.

When closing up put the cross piece in the carrier and the staple will poke through the hole you make in the door when you close it, ready to take a padlock. A pre- drilled 12" square piece of 20 gauge steel coach bolted to the door over the hole where the staple comes through will make things extra secure.

Oh By the way

Happy Motoring. thumbsup.gif C7 WJW.

J.M.

Welcome to Seven ownership. Hell of a kick ain't it!!!biggrin.gif

I have seen a motorcycle 'U' lock put through the front wheel as a deterrent. It will easily store (behind the seat?) and is pretty strong.

Just remember it is there before pulling away!!!

I think it's very difficult to secure your Seven while you are away from 'base'. I reckon I could strip a huge amount out of one in only a few minutes; frightening.

PS. Hang onto those 'Vecta' electronic keys as replacements are unobtainable nowthumbsdown.gif

I agree with sinking a hook into concrete in the garage or off-road parking area and attaching said chain thru' that thumbsup.gif Get the type of "chain" that can't be cut by bolt croppers, more expensive but much stronger and it also takes up less room (if you carry it with you) and doesn't clank teeth.gif

If you're really paranoid, (as I was a few years ago) blush.gif - you can get anti-ram posts fitted o/s the garage/parking area. They're not cheap, around £250 +VAT each (and + fitting, I believe) but it will take the larger variety of her Majesty's finest tanks to smash it down teeth.gif

Fit "TRACKER" or similar (but don't tell anyone) smile.gif

And "low key" is definitely the way, as suggested above. You may feel like bringing everyone's attention to the new love of your life - but if you live in an area where you have concerns about people's pre-disposition to the acquisition of items belonging to others, - you're better off driving as inconspicuously as possible - saving the blasts for the open roads thumbsup.gif

Locking wheel nuts.

A locking cable through spare wheel to carrier.

The only bits left to nick then are under the bonnet, which opens the door for Blatman to tell you all about the advantages of owning a W*******d wink.gif

Having said all that, the removeable steering wheel is well out on top of "security items" IMHO

p.s. Immobilisers tend to drain the battery, if you don't use the car regularly sad.gif

and finally, Welcome to the world of Se7ening - enjoy thumbsup.gif teeth.gifthumbsup.gif teeth.gifthumbsup.gif teeth.gifthumbsup.gif teeth.gifthumbsup.gif teeth.gifthumbsup.gif teeth.gifthumbsup.gif teeth.gifthumbsup.gif teeth.gifthumbsup.gif teeth.gifthumbsup.gif

FH

Edited by - fullharness on 11 Jul 2001 07:42:20

I have parked my car on open ground in SE16 (central London) for 6 years and only had some cute tyre valve caps nicked - however, on a day trip to Buckinghamshire, I had the front badge nicked and a 12" deep and wide scratch in the front nosecone.

The moral being that parking at home isn't where the danger is - so all the added security to garages etc is probably a waste of time.

However, YMMV....

Graham

Graham,

Please enlighten me - what does them letturs mean question.gif

FH blush.gif blush.gifblush.gif blush.gifblush.gif blush.gifblush.gif blush.gif

Edited by - fullharness on 11 Jul 2001 10:25:31

graham... err yeah, you got it.. my mileage definitely does vary.

since moving to streatham i've actually lost count of the amount of crime that has befallen me; my old car ( an unobtrusive peugeot 106 ) has been broken into twice and vandalised twice. kids mostly, it would seem.

the funniest ( yeah right ) was when my flatmate's car was totalled during a gangland execution, and then his rental car was vandalised a week later. oh yeah, with my peugeot too.

and it's meant to be a 'nice' area of the borough too.

i'm off to halfords this weekend to buy a garage bolt and some chain !

nice to now there are others mad enough to own a 7 in london though...

laters, j

ps sorry to hear about your nosecone.. keying has got to be one of the worst car crimes in my mind. so mindless and quick, yet so expensive to fix.

At Goodwood a chap on the mailing list had his sidescreens and hood or was it tonneau nicked!

Expensive to replace!

You can can get bolt through hinge pins that stop the doors just being lifted off.

Pain if you like running with out the doors... or removing them while working on the car.

I have an alarmed garage and deadlocking bolts on the doors.

My insurance company (Osbournes) say that very few 7's get nicked....

I am lucky at work as we have cameras and security guards doing the rounds...

Watch out there's a thieving BAS%^&D about.

I hope these words are not famous last ones but having read of your tribulations I am glad I live Up North in the middle of nowhere ! But one hint on vectas - my 93 7 was fitted with one which developed the amusing habit of immobilising me at random -after pushing it down the High street of local market town patience expired and got a shurlock system which has worked perfectly.But it won't stop the bastards winching it on to a truck I guess.

• Area Representative

Blatman,

Caterham do the hinges, they are just standard ones with

threaded stud instead of the pin. A nyloc either end secures them. The drivers side ones are standard issue on new kits to conform to SVA requirements.

Alarm mine.

I use an alarm mine to keep my garage secure. This is a device used by gamekeepers to catch poachers available from gun shops for less than £20. It consists of a spring loaded pin held by a split pin. When the split pin is removed the pin is forced forward into a blank shotgun cartridge. This can tend to upset your intruder and also notify you that someone is after the contents of your garage.

I have a 1Kg weight balanced on the frame of my garage door, the weight runs thruogh an eye screw to the split pin. If someone trys to force the doors they set it off.

As far as I am aware these are legal as long as you dont have the mine indoors! Use black powder cartridges and a metal bucket under the cartridge for the hard of hearing thief.

Haooy hunting!

Some saddo on the Le Mans trip one year fitted a u lock to his wheel/wishbone whilst on the ferry.

Now that is SAD!

Most security equipment is cheap nastily made stuff and is not very reliable. That whih does not fall into this category is normally still unreliable as it was fitted by a spotty 18 year old between subwoofer installations......

Best solution is(IMHO) keep your car in a garage, with a decent lock (or pref remote controlled as there are no external locks then) Remove the ECU and or steering wheel if you can.

All this carrying chains etc. defeats the object of a lightweight car, and also it takes ages every time you park up.

Arnie Webb

So fat the chassis snapped....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies 2 piece Seven here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here