Click here if you are having website access problems ×

advise: what flywheel and clutch for my Vx

StephaneM

Hello,

I think about going to a Quaife or SPC gearbox with better ratios. I will take this opportunity to go to a lighter flywheel & a new clutch.

I use my car 50% on the track, & 50% on the road. My engine is dry-sumped with the Caterham system. I actually have the SBD TP208 kit, I think I won't go over the TP235.

I'm a little bit lost regarding flywheel & clutch choice.

May I receive some advices about that?

Cheers.

Stéphane.

Hello,

When you wrote "standard lightened", you mean that it's a machining of my actual flywheel? If yes, what is exactly the machining operation? Is there a drawing somewhee?

Standard flywheel is 7,1kg. When I have a look on the SBD website, there is the possibility of the standard lightened (5,1kg) & the alloy one (3,3 kg). What is the big advantage to save 1,8kg between them? What is the need of the "low noise" option (what noise ? *confused*)

There are also the 7,25" solution... is the only advantage is weight saving?

Finally, I saw Un-sprung paddle clutch plate solution wich is very light. is it usable on the road? They say that sintered ones are for racing only, nothing about others.

I understood that, in adition of the global car weight savong, it's interesting to save weight here because engine will rev more easilly...

Cheers

Stéphane.

Hi Stephane

I am no expert, but I was very nervous about going to 5.5" as I too wish to maintain drivability on the road.

I appreciate many use 5.5" clutch for road cars.

I have used an organic clutch which hopefully will be a bit easier on the drive train.

Kind regards

Anthony

Raceco can on and it looks stunning

I bought a SBD steel flywheel and quatermaster 7.5" twin plate clutch. not much travel and takes a bit of getting used to , but I use mine on the road, no problems. Not the cheapest though! *thumbup*

Stephane,

If you're sticking at 208, you don't need to spend all that money *thumbdown*

Send your flywheel to SBD and get it lightened and balanced together with the clutch cover, or get it done in Grenouille Land...if you have a tame and very competent engine builder. At 208 you don't need fancy clutches *eek*

Paul

Thanks for that... it is a fact that Fly-W1 is only 75£ at SBD... (but I don't know if it is the machining operation or a part with no exchange)

no need for an heavy duty clutch cover? (~150£ at SBD) & no need for a special plate?

Cheers

Stéphane