Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rusted Bolts

Ferrino

Are there any tips for undoing nuts on rusted bolts? I am referring to the exhaust manifold studs, whose threads have become corroded and look like they are going to pose a problem when trying to untighten the nylocs attaching the manifold the the ali cylinder head. The nylocs themselves look like they have rusted to the bolt thread a bit too! Cheers!

Heat them up with a blowtorch and then cover liberally with Plusgas or some similar joint-loosening spray. Leave them for a day and then attack them. If they're still stiff, repeat until successful...

p.s. nylocs on a manifold? That must be pretty sturdy nylon in them bolts... 😳

My order of attack is.....

1. Douse with penetrating fluid (I use Plus Gas and it seems to work) and leave, go back and put on more and then the next day give it a try (not a lot of use if it is an emergency I know 😬)

2. Next step up, is to try heating the nut with a blow lamp (may be impractical if there are combustible components close by). This often does the trick though.

3. A really long (breaker bar) used with a socket rather than the normal ratchet can often shift things that appear to be stuck.

4. Remove the nut either with a nut splitter or dremel or hacksaw. Last resort as it often damages the thread of the bolt / stud but if it was this corroded it needed replacing anyway.

WD40 does work but you have to give it time, About a day or so before you start work on the car give the offending bolts a good dose of WD. I have found that bolts that just wouldnt budge on the first attemp come apart with ease if you give the Wd time to do its stuff.