Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle wing stays - tyre hugging style

YellowSeven

Recently I've noticed a lot a 7's with varring gaps between the top of the tyre and the cycle wing. All cars were running 13" wheels & 55 profile CR500's. All cars were also running standard caterham c/wings.

Can anyone tell me if there are difference wing stays available for the 13" wheels? Is there such a thing as a 'race' wing stay that elimates the gap? Or can they be fitted differently?

Any info appreciated

yup.....Carerham do a race stay. I just cut 32mm off the front and 25mm off the back and the wing hugs well....you couldn't take any more out of the stays.

That's std 13" stays and 185/60 tyres.

After a hi-vis (pocketted side) driver's door if anyone's got one? *thumbup*

I don't think CC do short 'race' wingstays anymore. I had some really tight ones on my '97 SL, but the shortest they do now are very 'gappy' even with 185/60/13 tyres. I'm going to cut mine down and re-weld - I'm sure that they create lots of drag / lift the way they are at the moment....

If you use the VX Race stays you will still end up with 2" between wing and tyre using 21" ACB10's or 175/55/13 CR500's.

A cut shut and powdercoat is the best way to get a result like this here although this is using DITP wings - available soon from Activa Composites.

Ex Fat Arnie

Hauling Less Lard....

You can bend the standard wing stays a lot to achieve a "near" tyre profile for your wing, but nothing like that demonstrated by EFA above. My friend cut around an inch from the diagonal parts of my wing stays to give me a tighter fit for my DitP wings. Very pleasing it is too.

You need cut and insert a rod for best effect. Mine look like they were made that short now.

Also depends on what wings you have, try a wing on your spare to test the gap, with some wings the closer you get the more the wing looks like its not meant for the car! DITP wings are the correct radius for going low, if a little wide, Perhaps some slightly narrower ones could be made by Activa Composites, please. 😬

kevin R

J457 DNU

black-ali HPC

• Leadership Team

I cut 20mm out of each leg, but didn't insert a rod. Unfortunately this leaves them weak and I snapped a weld trying to get a perfect alignment on the top *eek* As Nigel states it is better to insert a rod into the tubing to give a little extra strength.

Stu.

There's no reason to use anything other than 13's if your suspension is set up correctly... unless...

The 14" wings (smallest Caterham provide) do not have a tyre-hugging profile. Both the leading and trailing edges appear to move away from the wheel. They look better with slightly larger wheels... hence the comment above. *smile*

The DitP wings have a fantastic tyre-hugging profile and are wide enough for 7" ACB10's. the normal wings look too narrow, and do not cover the whole tyre properly.

Another thing to consider if you are planning to chop them down and you have the GRP wings bolted to them is that you might need new holes in the GRP for the bolts or a new pair of wings.

Also agree with V7 I have some unltra low stays and the Caterham wings are only just wide enough for a set of 185's and the mudguard can touch the tyre side wall through vibration in the wing stays

Edited by - Graham Perry on 1 Jul 2004 10:25:15

A lot has been said about gluing wings on, to avoid holes in the first place, and later to avoid holes in the wrong place as per Graham's comment above, but the DitP wings have a kevlar lining which sticks like buggery to the glue making it the only reasonable choice.

And in case anyone cares... most people really over-egg this gluing thing.

If you want controversial how about putting the wings below the brackets and using the now exposed brackets to secure tiny winglets to give some positive downforce?????? *eek*

What about it EFA......wouldn't take long for a mock-up 😬

It would also mean one could get outrageously close to the tyre

..we're all individuals.......I'm not

........been thinking about this a little more......the winglets shouldn't be the sort of tea-tray looking things one finds on the back of a Subaru but a subtle shape that doubles as a cover, so the supports don't become an SVA or construction and use dangerous edge issue

..we're all individuals.......I'm not

Has anyone tried to make the wing stays adjustable? Is it possible to cut the stays, weld the internal rod and then use inserts to vary the height of the stays? The reason for this I have 15" wheels that came with the car and also 13" wheels for trackday use. I currently have the wing stays forthe 15" wheels even though I use the car almost exclusively now for track days.

• Leadership Team

You should be able to find a compromise that will fit both and still be reasonably close for 13". I ran 16" HPC wheels for a while under 13/14" stays.

Stu.