Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiring In Audi Towbar Electrics

R400C

Just fitted a removeable Bosal towbar to my Audi S3 and have a quick question about wiring in the electrics.

Immediately next to the hitch is a removeable plastic bung allowing you to pass the towbar electrics cable into the boot space (into the spare wheel compartment). There is a wire from the cars wiring loom running through this area which appears to be there for the sole purpose of wiring in towbar electrics (it appears from under the spare wheel, runs through the boot space for no apparent reason and disappears through another rubber grommet on the LHS). Should I simply scotch-lock the wires into it or do I need to route the towbar electrics cable to somewhere else?

I have a multi-meter and a sense of adventure - any advice or potential source for advice would be most appreciated! The Audi is a 2003 model if that affects anything ....

Picking up my Clubman 950 tomorrow!

Thanks for any help!

R400 C

As long as you don't have 'clever' electrics - i.e. a signal wire like in newer Fords, you can't do any more damage than blow fuses - and you shouldn't even do that. I always wire up towbars with a meter - 'tis easy. Find yourself a towbar wiring diagram on the web if you don't already have one.

After a hi-vis (pocketted side) driver's door if anyone's got one? *thumbup*

do not mean to hijack the thread - but that make of towbar - have u any details ?

I am looking for one for my A4 Avant - must be similar

local Audi delaer wanted over 600 quid and reckoned best part of a day to fit !! seemed very unreasonable to me

thanks

Jai

I shopped around quite alot and eventually bought mine from www.towequipe.co.uk for just over £200 with 48 hr delivery. That's half of the Audi cost and the bar is actually better - invisible when removed and a very high quality lockable hitch. The only disadvantage is that the removeable hitch won't fit in the dedicated shape in the high density foam liner of the spare wheel - the Audi hitch must be a slightly different shape ...

Have just discovered that my car has a computerised bulb checking system so I need a bypass relay ... not going to find that by tomorrow. Can I get knicked for towing an empty trailer in the day with no electrics? The rear of my car will still be clearly visible to all behind ... what does the law say?

R400 C

thanks for info - will give them a try

I think thats illegal but down here on the Isle of Wight I have to say I have done this many times - but I just think everyone is used to it because there are so many farmers/smallholders/etc driving around with someone elses trailer/incorrect no plates/busted lights !!!

Well I got home in one piece ... R400C is now on the trailer in a single garage ... excellent!

Having read lots of horror stories about Audi multiplex electrics and how tapping into the wrong place even with a bypass relay can screw the driver information system and self diagnostics .... I'm going to chicken out and pay to have it done properly. There, ... I've said it; and I'm already feeling the shame.

R400 C

We put a towbar on our new golf a few weeks back. I bought the bar from VW as they had the only removable type at the time and got a local firm to fit it using generic electrics. The bar was £200 the fitting incl electrics was £100. The wiring kit alone from VW was £70 but you have to route it to a specific point in the vehicle and tap into the can bus (network thing). Then you have to tell the ECU that you've done the mod or else it goes potty. I spoke to our workshop about using factory electrics as they had recently done one of the A4s here. They had to pull out most of the interior to route a cable to the front A pillar, took them a week!. Crazy. So it would take an experienced fitter a good day. The mobile fitter used a piggy back box which takes signals of the rear lights and does the relay ing bit itself. It only took and hour and a half and he fitted in the car park. Dead easy.

BC

I have an Audi A4 TDi, though 1996. I would always go for a Witter bar, though they do not do removeable type. However they are very well made and approx £130, also available direct or from Witter agents.

Re electrics, depends on whether you are fitting single or twin socket type. Single easy (indicators/brake lights/lights) just by scotchlocking into the rear harnesses. More difficult is twin electrics as you will then have to route a 17 amp or more cable to the front of the car (battery circuit). However you will only need this for a caravan ('fridge when towing!) *smile* The A4 bracket is a b*****d to fit as all of the bumper has to be removed and the side guides are notoriously awkward! However, typically VAG, it is very well engineered, especially the deformable mountings (crumple zone type stuff!)