Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Converting VX Hydraulic Lifters To Solid

As I understand it on the shim and bucket type cams the purpose of the shim is to get the right valve clearance. If I am not talking about a totally different system from that on your car, you measure the valve clearances and write them down. You then drag the followers and shims out and measure the shims with a mic. A bit of arithmetic takes you to the shim thickness required for each valve and you swap them round/replace them accordingly. As things wear I would expect progressively thicker shims to be required.

Yes that sums it up, you will find that no two lobes are the same, most xe heads take around 5-10 hours to shim properly from scratch, this time obviously includes grinding each shim which is monotonous to say the least *confused*

Support the 7 Society...... Ehhh?

Matthew

Depending on where you get the shims from they can be bought un-finished in a few sizes. Have a bit of a work out roughly what size you need and get ones which are as close as poss. It saves a lot of time etc having to machine them as much.

IIRC Arrow and QED do them in a few different sizes. Not sure about SBD though.

Good luck

James

Su77on Se7ens

Hi Aves,

I can recall doing this on 8V twin cam fiat, same process, time consuming and need to grind shims to fit. Lots of assembly and disassembly, but very satisfying when it is done.

As James says, try and get understanging of sizes you need and then go shoping with a micrometer.

Best regards

Anthony

Raceco can on and it looks stunning