Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-flow Exhaust Manifold Gasket Fitting

New Cat

I need to check (and quite probably replace) the exhaust manifold gaskets on my 1.7 Supersprint X-flow this weekend. How straight forward is it? Do I need a torque wrench? Besides the gaskets is there anything else I need (exhaust paste or anything?) Advice gratefully received.

No. The bolts are A/F however, so don't try using anything metric on them. You can get copper gaskets from Roger King, or from Burtons too.

Torque? Do them up with an allen key until your wrist throbs is my advice, but put some copperslip on then first.

It is probably the most straightforward job you will do.

Clamshells...You Know It Makes Sense

When the central branch of the exhaust manifold on my 1800cc X Flow started blowing, I tried many different solutions.

I eventually found the face of the centre branch of the manifold had gone slightly concave.

The cure was to carefully linish flat the face and fit RK gaskets.

No problem in the last two years.

Mind you plenty of other problems *smile*

Burtons, Think Automotive and Pace Products all do catch tanks and all have web sites so you can do it over the phone or buy online. They come in all shapes and sizes and prices to match. If you want I have one of the old plastic bottles types you can have if you want as mine is now fitted with a 2 litre Mocal jobby.

Ade *smile*

Hi Ade, thanks for your very kind offer of your old catch tank. However, I'm quite eager to get it sorted this weekend so I can take the car away for easter (I live quite some way from where I garage the car so don't get the opportunity to do any fixing during the week). Think Auto is closest to me (although still quite a distance) and open on Saturdays, but as far as I can tell only do the alloy tanks like yours. Any thoughts where I can quickly get hold of a plastic catch tank, certainly until I determine whether it is spitting out very much at all...