Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De Dion bolt failure

StewartG

Just out this morning went over a bump and the rear suspension collapsed.

Turns out, the passenger side bolt securing the bottom of the shock to the de dion tube had sheared

Managed to limp home, about 20 miles, on three wheels.

Of course the rest of the bolt, brocken off flush, cannot be persuaded out of the threaded bush.

I can envisage two remedies.

1) Buy a new de dion tube.

2) Use the hole through the middle of the de dion tube with a longer bolt and adjust the platforms to correct for the extra ride height.

Has anyone done this, will it work or are there problems?

The only difference I can see is that the shox will have less compression travel

Stewart

Mine are through the tube, can't see any reason why you can't do this, I've read on here before that the lower mount is a point of failure although the whole thing comes adrift

If you decide to re use the old one I'm sure a local engineering company can get the bit out and re tap the thread for you for a few quid

Mark

I suspect you really need slightly shorter dampers and springs, but if you have lots of threads left on your dampers it may be possible to shorten them.

I would be careful to thoughly check the tube where the original mounting bush attaches itself in case there is damage there. All the previous failures I have heard of were where the bush failed and has ripped a lump out of the tube turning it into scrap. Its the first time I have heard of the bolt failing. It might be a good idea to check if the same bolt on the other side is a high tenstile one and those through the top mounting as well.

• 19 years later...

I had the same problem several years back.  Bolt sheared flush with the tube.  Asked the same questions as you have and in the end purchased a new tube as the modern version is stronger and trying to get the old bolt (remains out) was proving more trouble than it was worth.