Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A032R tyre pressure

julians

21psi for racing? Ah, but are you talking hot or cold pressure? With my A021Rs I use 25 psi hot for racing, which means anywhere between 18psi to 21psi cold depending on the track, the weather, and also which tyre it is (e.g. nearside warms up more than offside on a circular clockwise track).

I spent a day setting up at Oulton Park and played with tyre pressures and 25 psi hot was the best setting. This was measured as soon as I came off the track so the tyres didn't get a chance to cool down at all, so they were pretty hot. Its amazing how much pressure they lose when they cool down. On that day, the rear nearside went down from 25 to 17.5 !

sounds like you have enough data - I use 24 hot in my 32s and I normally start out at 19 cold to see if that gets me to about the right place --- but what I do not understand is why track day advice often includes a note to increase tyre pressures by 5 psi+ over pressures used for road use - if I did this it would mean driving on the road with 14 cold - can anyone explain???

I do drive on the road with about 14psi cold. It's the only way I can get the rears to wear evenly, any more pressure causes more wear in the middle than on the edges. With about 14psi in the front tyres I get even wear across the front tyres too with the whole width of the tyre tread in contact with the road. I,ve seen some 32R's with the middle worn like a m/cycle tyre presumably too much pressure, god knows what the grip was like.