Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Charcoal canister

Pierre Gillet

Goodness gracious! When does the commission cheque get posted? *wink*

Yes, it worked for me - and having just spent a weekend under the car pratting with the diff etc., I'd recommend jacking the rear of the car up and removing the RR wheel to make access to the side of the tank easier...

...I have *no* idea why I didn't do this myself - presumably I subconciously like jobs to be twice as fiddly as they need to be...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

There are no MOT issues for my car, but it only has to pass visible emissions. I have no idea why the original owner spec'ed a cat. If my car did have to have a cat then I don't think i would have removed the charcoal cannister. Hmm, I guess that didn't really answer your question...

The charcoal filter removes the hydrocarbons from the petrol vapour leaving the tank via the vent. This reduces the hydrocarbon emissions whilst the vehicle is stationary without the engine running. This is one of the emmissions reducing bits of kit fitted to fully type approved cars but isn't needed for our type of cars. I'm surprised that Caterham bother fitting it.

On normal tin tops the charcoal cannister can be fully sealed and the ECU will vent it's contents through the intake manifold periodically.

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

i had the misfortune of basing an MSc on this fabulous subject...

the canister is full of 'activated' charcoal - a 500ml canister normally has the ability to absorb circa 35g of HC vapour - typically, the canister is purged periodically via an ECU controlled solenoid valve located between the canister and the intake manifold. All carbon canisters have a vent to atmosphere - this is required to allow fresh air to pass through the canister during purging of the HC, and allow HC vapour to escape to atmosphere if the canister becomes saturated / solenoid stick shut etc.

These devices are legal requirements under the banner of 'Evaporative Emissions' - these laws were first introduced into southern california in the mid-fifties to counteract the famous Los Angeles smog caused by hydrocarbons escaping from vehicle fuel systems.

finally, whip it off your vehicle if your environmental consience can stand it !

ta, Will

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...