Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brakes - what to expect?

gmdh555

Hi,

Me and my new 7 went for our first blat up into the peaks this afternoon (Cat & Fiddle etc) and very enjoyable it was too - Sunday drivers were a pain obviously, but it's great how many people see a 7 in their mirror and slow down/wave you through *biggrin*.

Anyway, as I haven't driven many Sevens I am not sure what to expect of the brakes. My gut feeling is they're not as good as they could be. I guess I was thinking "stop on a postage stamp" would be about right. Actually, the car can stop pretty quickly, but an almighty shove on the pedal is required to do so. Is that what they call "feel"? One thing that's totally absent is bite, which is fine by me as long as "they all do that".

Not something that's easy to discuss in abstract I know, but if I was supposed to be knocked out by the 7's ability to stop then something's not quite right. By the way, it's a 1.8 VX Classic with the standard front discs/rear drums.

Cheers,

Gareth *cool*

that is exactly what i felt when i got into mine for the first time - but the story changed when i got onto a track and they really warmed up - no fade, lots of bite and good feel - but on the road after power assisted everything in a road car - they do feel as though there is nothing there. Pad material is important (i have not found such good pads since my first set)...but you are not alone on your initial reaction.

enjoy it

colin

Thanks for the thoughts.

As for locking the wheels - not succeeded yet but I reckon it's possible.

Colin - your comments are reassuring. I meant to say that there is some improvement once they're warmed through. I have a trackday booked at the end of the month so lets see if they come to life. If not, I should see off enough of the pads to warrant trying something else *wink*.

Cheers,

Gareth

If one is used to 'modern' servoed brakes, the 7's will feel 'different' certainly.

We actually found that changing to sticky tires (stickier than the very old Pilots we did have) made a huge difference to how hard you could stamp on the brakes and just stop.

NEW Nurburgring Pictures posted

here

55,000miles in 2.5 years

My brakes were rubbish when I first got the car, even though it had very good hardware - vented discs, AP 4 pots, etc. When I got better tyres, the braking massively improved, transformed actually. Brakes are excellent now, feel, bite, progression, all the nice brake associated words..... *thumbup*

What tyres do you have?

J351 TPE . . . battered old X/Flow

Congrats on the new 7. The first blat is a very exciting time.

My experience is that my brakes ('99 live axle) took some time to bed in before I started to become confident in them, but they did improve markedly. I have 3000 miles on the car now and they're worlds better than when it was new.

Also, if you have the Ital live axle, it pays to keep on top of the rear drum adjustment. Keeping the drums adjusted properly does wonders for pedal travel and feel.

Oh. One other thing I forgot to mention. My own experience in my Caterham is that it does not respond well at all to sharp "stabbing" of the brake pedal. Smooth brake application is beneficial in all cars, but I have found it particularly so in the Caterham. You can apply the brakes quickly, but it is important that it is an "application" (ie smoothly building to maximum braking effort) rather than just jamming your foot home. Being concious of how I applied the brakes also made an enormous difference for me.

Hey, excellent timing on this thread! I picked up my first seven yesterday afternoon. My initial reaction on the brakes was exactly the same. After driving for a while I was getting more used to them and my confidence was building. Good to hear the brake 'feel' is all normal.

Made my drive into work this morning in a sloppy 8 year old Astra estate feel twice as long *thumbdown*

2L Zetec home at last

They are spitfire bits at the front and yes, the pedal is heavy as there is no assistance. Once you overcome this however and get used to pressing the pedal firmly, the rate of slowing is dramatic and your ability to tell when it is about to lock is enormous. Try some emergency stops on an empty road to prove it. If you still need convincing, slacken your harness an inch or so then try again - you will leave your seat. This once happened to me in the passenger seat of Angus & Tessa's 7, it was quite alarming to be dangling around on the entrance to a roundabout. So yes, they all do it and you will adjust.

I was shocked by the lack of feel and weight of pressure needed on my Academy car, and a change for the Caterham carbon pads made them better from cold and absolutely miles better hot. The first time I hit the pedal, with the new, unbedded pads, I felt the improvement!

I had a VX1.8 (Beaulieu) and the brakes were dreadful, even when I'd got used to the lack of a servo etc. I changed the tyres for some Yoko 21s and it made very little difference. You could try upgrading the pads or going for really sticky tyres (e.g. Yoko 32s) but these will put a strain on the diff and half shafts if you take it on track. You should make sure the rear drums are adjusted so that the fronts just lock up first. It is possible to get an upgrade for the brakes (e.g. upgrade fronts to 4-pot and convert rear to disc brakes) but it's very expensive and a bit over-the-top for a classic.

Common problem can be not having bled the system properly as it takes ages to get all the air out of the rears. When the rears aren't working too well the whole thing feels a bit wooden. Try bleeding the brakes.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs