Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cf - prices?

Normans_Ghost

If you are not worried about looks or style , then I assume by function you mean light weight ?

What do you mean by *function* ??

I saw a set of Arnies wings and nose at The Sevens Workshop last week and they are very very good fit and extremely light , they also look fantastic .

The current caterham offerings are very poor and heavy - as seen at Autosport show , other supplies are available from germany , but having seen these I didnt like the carbon & plain black fiberglass edging .

I think the only reason someone would buy carbon is cos it it looks nice , and it saves a few Kg . Why do you want it ? *smile*

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 5 Feb 2004 08:15:40

Thinking of carbon cause 3 out 4 wing have some sort of damage and nosecone needs a bit of a repair and paint. Could repair and paint all for nothing but, along with my personal weight loss programme. was thinking about CF in terms of strength and weight. I'll ask Arnie where he got his and the price.

CC put a new body, nosecone & wings (not bonnet) on the car about 3 1/2 years ago. It now looks worse than before due to chips/scratches etc. I'm not bothered too much about that as I prefer to concern myself with the mechanics than the cosmetics. Reason for new body was corrosion - it was about 10 years old then.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

Norman,

If you decide not to go the CF route then I can tell you that I've just been quoted £220 + VAT to replace all of my gel coat fibreglass (2 cycles, 2 rear and nosecone) from caterham's old original supplier who now supplies direct to the marketplace.

Chris Alston

www.C7CAT.com *cool* 1800 Supersprint

Drive it like you stole it! 😬 *thumbup*

Chris, I can do that myself, have access to a bodyshop and know what to do. I'm not worried about cosmetics, I'll leave them as they are for as long as they hold together. I was thinking of CF for strength & lightness but am not paying cicra 1600 plus vat (DT's prices) to save a kilo. If I can get them for less I'll consider it. Thats the question, who's the cheapest and sod the quaility, nice looking ones won't make the car go any faster than not-so-nice looking ones.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

Aves, sorry, I had said earlier it's function not cosmetics I care about. I'm aware that CF is no where near as expensive as some claim. Strength & weight should be correct, and if they don't look as good as others which cost more, that's fine.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

Having recently replaced a FG rear wing with another one (thanks Stu, finally got it sorted) I was surprised at how little they actually weigh when the light is stripped off. On this basis I can't see there is too much weight saving available. The advantages I can see are CF is more hardwearing, prettier if not painted and *fractionally* lighter. Cheap CF will need painting and if you have access to paint facilities as you imply why not just spray what you have and only drink half your tea before leaving to compensate for the weight? Eventually they will wear out totally in which case you can replace one at a time with CF without a significant financial hit.

B-O-Ms, I think someone said that weight saving was 1kg. I was thinking of changing mainly for the hardwearing aspect. around here everything's scratched/chipped/fractured in a few weeks from new because the roads are so bad and covered in chippings/stones/rocks/boulders (I do not exagarate). Other reason is I need some motivation to keep going to the gym on this weight loss programme. Carmen (at gym) is a very nice girl but she's killing me! Always find that spending money on the car makes me feel good. However, even I won't spend 2k to save 1kg, even if it will look good. The rest of it looks so battered it wouuld be a waste.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166