Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Waxoyl - how to apply?

J A T Richardson

Waxoyl can be applied in an even clear(ish) coat by thinning down with White Sririt and spraying with a compressor.

However for maximum protection, use large amounts and really "slap" it on.

The actual waxoyl is not pretty but will keep your car looking good (even if its never seen due to the coating)

Apply to all surfaces where Ali meets Steel, anywhere where water could get trapped, all of the rear of the car esp around the fuel tank supports.

Also if you have any holes in the chassis (drilled out rivets etc) use these to get Waxoyl inside the chassis tubes.

Waxoyl - Its not pretty - but it is Clever!

😬 😬 😬

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Not going to you know where with you know who in 2004 😬

It's horrid stuff. I use dinitrol which is just as horrid. Useful for insides of tubes and cavities - I sprayed it down a few rivet holes and down the roll bar mountings and also on the inside of the dedion tube. I'm not sure there's much point spraying it on the outside of tubes. The big problem is moistures getting under the powder coating and I don't think waxoyl helps prevent this particularly well.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ __ __ /

___ _//__T/__/_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ /o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) // /

/___/--_________/--/___/

[/

I used the aerosol Dinitrol as well - easy to apply and dries to a blackish colour - virtually invisible on the powder coated engine bay.

Sprayed in the de Dion tube, and into any rivet holes I coudl, as well as round the bottom of the engine bay, in the tunnel and round the tank.

Time will tell if it works...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here

Dont use the Waxoyl aerosol cans, they are poor value and dont give very good results.

The Waxoyl pressure sprayers are much better, just make sure the Waxoyl is hit (stand in a bucket of very hot water for at least 20 minutes) and thinned with some white spirit.

I also use a 99p hand sprayer (from a garden centre / diy place) and find that I can geta very fine mist with it

I think Dinitrol may be better (although waxoyl will creep over time) but my car has already been waxoyled so I'm going to stick with it.

Also, get a 5-litre can of WD40 or duck oil and spray that on the bits you want to potect but not with waxoyl.

Edited by - Nick Woods on 18 Dec 2003 12:12:41

Final question: does Waxoyl dry to a dry finish (if you will) or a tacky finish?

Mine is tacky (possibly because the the can was attacked by a winter frost before I applied it) and now has an attractive grit 'n' road dirt finish, which looks rather careless. Particularly since it covers most of the underside of the car.

(I'm guessing some careful cleaning-up with white spirit will address this - any thoughts?)

Ta very much...

C7 CCL - broom broom

I found brushing on gave the best finish without all the globby bits building up all over the place... although as this is the first time I have used it, the level of protection may not be that great... but at least it goes where you want it to go... and you don't need to thin it down....

For hard to get places heat up thin down and use the special extension tube thingy with supposed 360degree spray ability... might be a bit more useful if the tube wasn't as rigid as a very very rigid thing... which means that controlling it is not easy....

Good luck...

*smile*

David

I found the following "Delia Smith" compressor method to work really well.

Please take note - its a health and safety inspectors worse nightmare!

Try at your own risk *tongue*

Mix 50/50 Waxoyl and White spirit in a metal container.

Sit this in another metal container filled with water. (bain-marie)

Place this on to a camping style stove and light it.

WARM the mixture through allowing the waxoyl to disolve into the white spirit.

Get the mixture nice and warm - it will go very runny.

Put the degreasing gun attachment from the compressor into the water and let it warm up a little.

This stops the gun clogging up when you start to spray - especially in cold weather.

Warm the car as much as possible - a fan heater is ideal.

Spray the car with the warm waxoyl - try to get in all the hard to reach places.

Use loads and really get it everywhere.

If you put too much on - it simply runs off.

This is really messy!!!

Leave the applied waxoyl mixture to "dry"

This can take several days.

Finally clean with a cloth and some White Spirit to remove any overspray.

Repeat yearly 😬

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Not going to you know where with you know who in 2004 😬

I have to say that when I saw Steve shortly after he did this he didn't have any eyebrows or hair on the front of his scalp. I wondered why at the time but just didn't like to say anything 😬

Also I believe he couldn't shower properly for some weeks as the water just ran straight off him. *wink*

Brent

Zetec 209