Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High-level slimline LED stop lights

Myles

Saw a couple of cars at today's MIRA sprint with really discreet, slimline LED stoplights fixed to the bar.

Does anyone know of suitable suppliers/models? I would have asked the drivers, but as I was marshalling on the startline, I didn't get the chance (and often didn't notice the lights until about 60mph and/or 100 yards had passed between us.

The wiring could have been prettier though... Not entirely convinced, but would like to research further...

Thanks and regds,

Myles

• Area Representative

A chap on BBC's Tomorrow's World program won an award for designing a wireless brake light system for motorbikes. I think the idea was to either wear the light on the back of a rucksack or even stuck on the helmet for improved visibility. IIRC he was looking to go into production with the idea and had lots of interest from various companies so maybe a good motorcycle accessory shop might be worth a call... Otherwise there was an article someone wrote in Low Flying explaining how they had fitted a conventional unit - but I just quite recollect which issue it was in *confused*

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Out of interest - how much would drilling a 4mm hole in the centre of an FIA roll bar weaken it?

My guess is that if a 4mm hole causes a problem during a roll over - then this would be the least of your problems.

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

I made my own very slim brake light (11" long x 1/2" dia) with 30 superbright LED for the roll bar. Material was about $ 15. You can find pictures and a build decription here: (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/birkinowners/files/CHMBL/).

It's much brighter than usual LED brake lights so if you want to cut it down to 10 or 20 LED of the kind I used it is still pretty good.

Warning: This is not a US DOT legal 3rd brake light because the effective lighted area is too small. For that you need to distribute the LEDs on 4.5 square inch (which defeats the purpose of having an unobtrusive assembly). I don't know what the rules are for UK. I am also not sure if the LED distributor (www.eled.com) ships to UK. But any red or hyper-orange LED with intensity > 5000 mcd is usable.

Gert

You can get the hyper-brite LEDs from, for example, Maplins if you want to build one yourself.

click here for Maplins website.

Carnoisseur do some ready made LED strip lights from £16 to £30.... see their site here ......look under "LED/Neon"

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 22 Jun 2003 02:22:06

Wireless high level brake light LED is sold at M&P Motorcycles (M&P.com)

08705 703040 for mail order .

But i dont know how far the signal can reach . I imagine the distance from helmet to rear light is similar to our rollbar > rear cluster ??

M&P also sell other waterproof brake lights that would normally attach to the rear paniers .

Dave

i got a strip light of LEDs that had a very discrete wire that i had on our bar for a while from the car shop on Barnet high street near RatRace for GBP 12. was trivial to install. had a self adhesive track on it. took 4 vlack cable ties to hide the wire.

in fact that reminds me i need to put it back on *eek*

Steve

210Bhp Sinister Version-VHPD here

Edited by - w1scb on 22 Jun 2003 09:02:22

• 7 months later...

Apologies for pushing this back up the agenda, but I was looking for an answer to this question as well. Mainly for safety on the roads.

Looking for an LED brake light that I can put on the roll bar.

Did anyone find any other suppliers? I was thinking of using one of those LED rain lights out of Demon Tweeks.

g

Superlight R #41

The problem with the standard motorbike offering is that the trigger is a replacement LED bulb. These bulbs are directional in their output intesity and are designed to point backwards. Caterham rear lights have the brake light bulb inserted from the side and hence they are less bright than the standard tungsten bulb. In effect you trade a reduced brake light in the standard location for a strip of LED's on the rollbar.

I am hoping that Marc Hicks will investigate these which I have ssen on US sites.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!