Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD

tom7

I have the chance of a LSD from a 2.0 XR4x4. It is the correct 3.9 ratio for my existing set-up. I understand there are some preload settings to be changed but will it swap straight in? Will my driveshafts fit or are there any differences I should be aware of.

AFAIK it has not been rebuilt but is as seen - any potential pitfalls or should I leave well alone. Price seems very attractive though

Tom

I thought this was the one that does fit. It's the 7" diff you need I believe, but not sure what this is a measurement of, the crown wheel diameter presumably.

If it physically fits then there are two options for driveshafts, bolt on, as used by Westfield, and push in as used by Caterham. I think Ford used them interchangeably depending on what day it was. You can easily see the difference, if it's push in then drive shafts will be OK. If it's bolt on drive shafts then it needs some work to swop the new diff over to use the push in shafts.

I think you're wrong about preload, preload settings apply to plate type lsd's. I'm pretty sure the XR4 diffs were the viscous type which has no user adjustable things.

The LSD is correct and there are no adjustments to be made. However, as stated the driveshafts are different between the diffs, so you may have to swap them over. Expect to pay less than £100 for this type of diff.

The car in front is a Westfie1d *wink*

The price I've been quoted is £200. I thought that was quite good

I too would love to know where to get an LSD for £100.

My only pervious experience of LSD's was in my RWD corolla, fabulous car, but I suspect a plate type LSD.

Will the viscous Ford jobbie give the same sort of 'driveability' 😬

Tom

I have the viscous LSD on my caterham, and as someone earlier has said you will need to either modify the driveshafts or get new ones.

The LSD itself seems fine, it does whats its supposed to do, and has so far seen 25 trackdays without complaint.

I cant really comment on the differences in feel between it and the plate type.

Yep, I can report the Tran X is a lovely diff and totally silent in use plus user adjustable to the correct setting for Caterham. £519.75 plus delvery and VAT. I built mine in myself, found it reasonably easy and would be happy to help anyone. Dare to be different.

If on a budget just get a Visco and have Lobros fitted to your drive shafts. This is not unusual in Kit Car land and lots of people make driveshafts, I was looking at a S.T Loconinja at the weekend that had this set up (a very nice package), speak to them and find out who does theirs

HTH

Steve

See My Zetec Power 7(nearly up for sale!) Here

You don't need to bother changing driveshafts if you are using the 7" LSD. If you open the back cover of the diff you will find that the two stubshafts (which the Lobro joints bolt to) are held in place by circlips. Remove these and the push-in type driveshafts will slip straight in.

Despite finding a diff for £100, I have been told by the guys at SPC that the Sierra viscous diff wont fit a Caterham because of the need for unequal length driveshafts. ☹️

It seems there is not a cheaper alternative for my car.

I'll just have to start saving.

Tom