Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cig lighter socket?

Mr Locust

I got an illuminated one from speeding.co.uk for a few quid which has a nice flush mounted lighter unit (although mine's got a map light in it). Vehicle Wiring Products look like they do the same one in their catalogue p24 Ref: AS2 for £9.66 + VAT or see it here. I only paid £4.99 from speeding.co.uk..Halfrauds also do lighters.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 10 May 2003 00:01:13

Is there a trick to drilling the hole in the dash? The recommended hole size is 28mm. Do you need a special tool? Does the crackle finish peel if you are careless? 🤔

Who's looking at the Ferrari? Nobody, that's who!

I used masking tape on which to mark-out the hole centre location and a piece on top on which was marked the size. Drilled a small then a larger pilot hole then used a rat-tailed file to open the hole to the required size. I've tried one of those tapered hole makers and though it does work I found it leaves a large burr on the inside. The metal is so thin and soft that it only takes a few minutes with a file and you get a neater finish IMHO.

BE VERY CAREFUL TO MAKE YOUR HOLE LOCATION WHERE IT WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH THE BIG TUBES BEHIND THE DASH *confused*

BRG SV 😬

Ciggy lighters are OK for lighting ciggies if you're into that disgusting habit. But as accessory sockets they're much bigger than they need to be, the plugs keep falling out and they're generally pretty naff. The only benefit is that 99% of tin tops come with them as standard so most accessories come with one fitted.

There are plenty of better auxiliary sockets, I've used 1/4 inch headphone sockets (very neat socket when not in use, very cheap, easily obtainable but the plugs are a bit big and sticky-outy when in use). Vehicle wiring products sell a neat coaxial socket, similar looking to a ciggy lighter but about 1/4 the size, http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/

I'm now using 2 pin sure seals as aux sockets, very positive, secure, neat, tidy, they're made by cannon and stocked by rs, http://rswww.com They're bigger versions of the mini sure seals that Stack use for their looms if you've seen them.

I want to set it up so that I can plug the battery charger in without having to go under the bonnet. Cigarette lighter sounds more versatile for other things like tyre pumps, map lights, mobile phone charging etc. Many thanks for all the tips. *wink*

Who's looking at the Ferrari? Nobody, that's who!

Im doing something like this when I get my car back...

but I thought about putting the ciggi' lighter under the dash somewhere.. maybe on top of the tunnel.. the thought behind this is that I dont want any rain getting in the socket if its raining hard..

still thinking how Im going to mount it though *confused* *confused*

any ideas anyone

Now, Beakie, we'll just flip this switch and 60,000 refreshing volts of electricity will surge through your body. Ready?..

See my CAR here

Edited by - Chris K on 10 May 2003 13:07:19

Maplin do a 4-way cigar lighter socket thingie with a trailing lead with a cigar plug on. Unit has battery condition lights on. Only a few quid.

Remove the condition lights.

File 6mm wide, 1mm deep groove centrally around 4-way bit - on rounded endged and down front where lights were.

Drill two holes in heater case under dash - tie-wrap 4-way bit tightly to heater with tie passed through holes and through heater case (interesting feeding the tie thro'!) using some foam tape to pad/stablise.

Cut plug off other end, feed thro' tunnel grommet and connet to battery with suitable fuse holder.

I can now plug in the phone charger, Road-angel, GPS remote antenna and maybe the intercom system (with a superb antiskip USA cd-player in-place of the phone - although now looking for mp3 players to use instead)

Bri

I found a double extension socket with a flat base on it in my local car parts place for about £6. I cut off the wires and resoldered some new ones directly to the battery (via an inline fuse) and stuck it under the bulkhead with double-sided tape. Its out of sight and needs no new holes drilling

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

For my plug-in battery conditioner, I use a caravan type auxiliary socket which is about 1/2 the diameter of a ciggy lighter socket and has the advantage of a splashproof spring loaded hinged cap *thumbup*

I have also made up a ciggy socket size adaptor which allows me to plug the telephone charger in to it.

You can get them in any camping/caravanning type accessory store.

Brent

Bloody thing won't start ☹️

Second the caravan/camping shop idea. Recently fitted a socket with rubber lid which takes a cigarette lighter plug. Appreciate that there are smaller neater plugs, but much more convenient to have a socket which uses cig lighter as you dont have to adapt mobile phone leads and can use one of those plug in flexible arm maplights.

My socket cost a fiver.