Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Post Build Check - results are in.

Ainsley

Just got my PBC back with the following:

• Handbrake needed adjusting, tightening it up a bit.
  • Front brake hoses needed to curve in the other direction - apparently the need to curve away from the springs.  (obvious really when you think about it)
  • Rad fan wiring touched the roll bar, needed moving.
  • Coolant needed topping up (not sure where it goes, I topped it up a few times)
  • One oil pipe was too close to the pulley, needed moving.
  • Oil level needed topping up.
  • Speed sensor wiring needed adjusting.
  • Front brake hoses needed tightening up where they go into the calliper, and new washers, they leaked.  (I think I was too timid tightening them up)
  • Left indicator wasn't working.
  • A few of the IVA bolt covers were missing - basically they must have fallen off on my test run then.

But Im pretty happy with that.  Looking back at the build I wasn't happy with the front wiring.  I wish Id made the indicator wires longer before threading the wires through the headlights and sheath.  I reckon I was too worried about tightening the brake hoses into the Calliper.  Its not like you can torque them up.  

I did think Id got the handbrake sorted, but apparently not. 

Only bits that Im disappointed about getting wrong are the oil pipe being too near the pulley, I should have spotted that myself.  Shame some of the silly IVA bolt covers fell off, but they would all come off anyway post IVA.  Also Id like to have sorted the fan wiring and speed sensor wiring.  But since there is no picture you are left to your own.

Oh, the other thing mentioned was the fuel tank was only half full, perhaps it needs to be full for IVA.

Its off next for the IVA test, which I will get Caterham to do.

All I need to do is wait till the last week of the month and I can pick it up and drive off into the summer 🙂

• Like 10

Yes, on the list (and accompanying video) they detailed it all out and lots was just sorted, no cost to me.

Basically it looks like its just things that take a bit of time to sort you are billed for.  But that's fair and now Im just ready to drive off, so Im quite happy to pay for pleasure. 

I spent two months in the garage building it.  Driving it is now on the list of things to do.

• Like 1

Yeah, I hate waiting, but luckily Im off on holiday for a week, so that will occupy my mind and shorten the waiting time.

Right now Im looking at maps and planning my first drive and running in drives.  Probably somewhere 250 miles away 🙂

6 hours ago, Ainsley said:

You can use my fail points to see if you can get a perfect PBC list 🙂

Haha, that thought went through my head the moment I read your post! 🤣

.. It seems I'll need some brake hoses to start attaching them correctly, they were another part missing from my delivery! 

Well done Ainsley! Brilliant job. I really hate to put a downer on anything but just be aware that the DVLA are a bit crap at turning around a V5 once you send off the IVA pass certificate. I had everything printed and ready and literally posted it on the way back from the IVA test centre......still took just under 6 weeks for the V5 to arrive though. And it was sunny every day just to spite me!! This was back in 2021 so perhaps they will have got their act together by now 🙂

I bet within a week of waiting you'll be sat in it in the garage making broom broom noises!!

Posted (edited)

@Ainsley Thats useful info. Thanks. Aimee @ Lotus Silverstone called to say my 360R kit is beign delivered 2 months ahead of schedule and will be here on the 22nd May! Can't wait to get started!

1.png

Edited by MGR_360R
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I need to wait for DVLA to do a V5.  Caterham Silverstone have already sorted my number plate, which will be given to me on collection this Saturday, I'm insured as well, so I will just drive away.  Somewhere exactly 250 miles away 🙂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

They pretty much did all the IVA paperwork for me as well 🙂

Great stuff Ainsley, sounds like you had a pretty smooth experience here!

So just for the record and for others going through this process (like myself!), can you let us know your timings on when you sorted out your PBC and IVA appointment? I've got all my IVA paperwork sorted (Lotus Silverstone / LCS did most of this as well for me) I've applied for the TAZ number already (haven't heard back yet, but applied over a week ago).

Once my build is ready I want to be on the road ASAP, I want to at least get a month of usage this year if possible, I'm just finishing the engine install phase this week (I'm building the same a order as the manual however I have the gearbox installed already before the engine!), LCS gave me this info:

- ...wait until just over halfway through the build to start booking in the IVA Test.

We would usually ask that the car arrives 3-4 weeks (minimum) before the IVA test is confirmed but would usually wait to book the PBC with us after an IVA test is confirmed. Last time we checked, their lead time was around 8 weeks…. (Please select the Leighton Buzzard test site and avoid Monday’s if possible)...

So from your experience with LCS, you dropped it off about 4 weeks ago, had the IVA last week, and have a registration already?

I estimated when I would finish the build and booked the PBC first.

Then I planned when to book the IVA, taking into account Silverstone needed a week to do the PBC and I added in a week in case something serious needed to be sorted.  They sorted the paperwork, I double checked it and sent it off then rang the IVA people to book.  They were unable to book me in too far in advance, so I rang back each week so I could book it post PBC and post a week of potential fixing of things found in the PBC and post me being on holiday.

I seem to recall it took about 20 mins to speak to a human at the IVA place, but they were helpful once they picked up the phone.  I think it took about a week to get the TAZ number.  

PBC went fine as you know.  When I dropped it off at Silverstone they showed me a list of registration numbers and I chose one.  I arranged for them to do the whole IVA and for me to turn up this Saturday for the collection, with a sort of unveiling ceremony.  

Basically I was able to time it so the PBC was Saturday April the 27th, a week of them checking for the bits Id done wrong, a week for any errors to be sorted, a week for me to be away on holiday and then IVA this Friday, collection this Saturday.  So in theory I could have done it all a week earlier if it wasn't for me being away on holiday for a week.

But that was actually a good thing as it took my mind off the waiting.  Not sure about 8 weeks for the IVA, just call them and see when you can get slotted in.  They need to find a whole clear day as it takes all day to do apparently.

But basically it was 4 weeks and that included me being on holiday for a week, so I could have done it in 3.

2 hours ago, Brownmonster said:

So just for the record and for others going through this process (like myself!), can you let us know your timings on when you sorted out your PBC and IVA appointment?

and costs… 🤷🏻‍♂️

In my day, Caterham took an extra £450 I think to present the car at the IVA, though they guaranteed a pass.  For me that was poor value so I took my car in (and to the subsequent retest 😳)

Yes, it does cost.  But for me I'm just looking forward to driving away in my car, I've completely lost track of the costs of buying, building and the associated fees.  (probably on purpose)

Building it was a pleasure, driving it will be great.  I viewed sorting the IVA as an admin PITA, so to me it was a cost worth paying so I jumped straight from the fun of building into the fun of driving.  £450 or whatever it is now is a tiny fraction of the cost of an already expensive car.

However, some viewed it as a nice finish to the build.  All these things need to be considered so you end up with the most fun for your money.

3 hours ago, Ainsley said:

However, some viewed it as a nice finish to the build.  All these things need to be considered so you end up with the most fun for your money.

As you suggest, to me, I had built the car and wanted to be responsible for seeing it through the IVA and onto the road too.

Quite understand why impatience might outweigh a small percentage cost-saving.

1 hour ago, BigCol said:

As you suggest, to me, I had built the car and wanted to be responsible for seeing it through the IVA and onto the road too.

Quite understand why impatience might outweigh a small percentage cost-saving.

That was my approach, for both SVA and IVA.  I regarded it as a question of personal pride.  I completed the build and set off for the test.   PBC came later, but only because it was offered rather than essential. Cost was not a factor.

JV

I'm also going to get LCS to put it through for me with the auto registration. For me it feels like it is the difference between being able to drive it properly this year, or having to wait until next, mainly because they can register it so quickly!