Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R New Style Radiator

Hello..

Having a bit of a downer day, everything I seem to be going to do on my 420 kit I seem to be missing bits 😭

Just looking at the “new style” radiator (different shown in the manual) and can’t find anything that looks like it would fit it to the car, anyone had experience with the new fixings please?

Where they are and what they look like?

image.png.577810bdcfec30d1e3f737578d6d0ed4.png

Thanks  

Here are a couple of photos taken during my build that show the mounts in place.  As seen in the second photo, the factory didn't sufficiently bend the bracket to create a parallel mounting surface for the radiator, so that had to be done to fit.  It's a thick piece that took some persuasion to get right.

radiatorbracket0.thumb.jpg.918940ef63213c7ad8761fc6d6a784f7.jpg

radiatorbracket2.thumb.jpg.3a27b84b2863104cef3cb8d5f41d6f63.jpg

1 hour ago, cobar said:

Here are a couple of photos taken during my build that show the mounts in place.  As seen in the second photo, the factory didn't sufficiently bend the bracket to create a parallel mounting surface for the radiator, so that had to be done to fit.  It's a thick piece that took some persuasion to get right.

radiatorbracket0.thumb.jpg.918940ef63213c7ad8761fc6d6a784f7.jpg

radiatorbracket2.thumb.jpg.3a27b84b2863104cef3cb8d5f41d6f63.jpg

That’s amazing thank you!

By any chance can you remember where you found the nuts and bolts, I have the rubber mountings and found the metal plates. 

Always worried I’ll use the wrong bolts that are intended for something else. 

Thanks. 

As Cobar says, very important to bend those aluminium mounting plates so the front face is parallel, then slot the holes if necessary and use some extra spacing washers to make sure there is no residual bending stress in the radiator. Learned from experience I am afraid!

1 hour ago, Jonesy365 said:

By any chance can you remember where you found the nuts and bolts, I have the rubber mountings and found the metal plates. 

I don't recall those being hard to find. Have you checked the fastener pack for the cooling system?

I found most of the fixings in Pack D Cooling. I did however buy some half-height Nyloc nuts for attaching the fan as Caterham didn’t supply these and others have noted the full height nuts are an IVA fail. They also didn’t supply 2x M8 10mm bolts which you’ll need for attaching the bobbins to the lower mounting slots on the radiator. (I have 98 extra ones😂 if you need some just PM me).

I too had to bend the aluminium brackets after reading various threads on radiator stress on this forum - hopefully I’ve got this rightđŸ€ž. The photo below gives a close up of one bobbin just prior to tightening up - you might find it useful.

Cheers, Craig.

IMG_0987.jpeg

Was there not also an issue with the radiator top hose outlet being in a slightly different position to the previous design of radiator?

But Caterham were still supplying the original design of top hose that now needed to be bent a little to fit the new radiator, adding to potential twisting stresses on the rad.

It probably worth checking that it fits correctly. Or perhaps Caterham have now amended the design of the top hose?

Hi Nigel. The top hose they use was designed for the original radiator set up as you and I have, I think. 
For that set up it fitted well,  now it’s a poor fit all round. 
I’ve seen several efforts to get it to fit with cable ties etc.  

Hi Peter!

You’d have hoped they’d have sorted out an appropriate replacement by now. I suppose the key thing is to ensure there’s no tension transferred to the outlet pipe (or is it the inlet pipe?).

I hope you’re doing well. 👍

9 minutes ago, Nigel B said:

I suppose the key thing is to ensure there’s no tension transferred to the outlet pipe (or is it the inlet pipe?).

No tension, compression, angulation, rotation... just like the mounts.

But i don't know all of the options for avoiding these.  

Jonathan

• Like 1

I notice that the pictures here show the bracket on the inside of the chassis mounting and in the 2015c written manual they are outboard of the mountings. I'm not sure which if any is correct but it's an additional option to get the least stress fitting. I haven't fitted mine yet as one bracket was missing. BTW the IKEA manual doesn't even show the SV brackets.

1 hour ago, StevehS3 said:

Separately, that sharp yellow spike pushed into the radiator fins can be a future problem if it vibrates and punctures the radiator. 

IMG_5221.png

What is it for ?

5 hours ago, Nigel B said:

Hi Peter!

You’d have hoped they’d have sorted out an appropriate replacement by now. I suppose the key thing is to ensure there’s no tension transferred to the outlet pipe (or is it the inlet pipe?).

I hope you’re doing well. 👍

Not too bad Nigel. Had a few health things but hopefully getting there. 
Haven't used 7 this year yet. Came to it in spring to find a rear leaky damper so I’ve got a set of Nitrons being fitted just now, flat floor,  MOT etc 
Hopefully back in a couple of days or so but not sure when I’ll be able to drive it but my son will be having it away to Silverstone if I can’t!  To be fair he paid for the Nitrons so I can’t complain!

I hope you’re well? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SM25T said:

What is it for ?

I don’t know. I assume it indicates a manufacturing batch number or something like that. It is a nasty spike to push into the radiator though.