Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch problem / question

Ainsley

I'm just about finished on my 420R build, but the clutch isn't quite right.

Basically I cant quite select all the gears with the clutch in.  This is probably because when I initially bled the system, I had the pedal adjuster wound in so there was perhaps too little travel and it doesn't fully depress.  

So I imagine I need to allow it more travel and re blead the system.

But in the box of bits I have left over I see there is a reservoir cap with bellows attached.  This cant be for the brake system, that has the float and switch on it.  So am I supposed to swop the clutch cap the car came with and replace it with the one supplied in the box that has a bellows on it ? 

Not sure why this is necessary, the bellows does what exactly, apart from take up space in the reservoir there by necessitating less fluid.

I'm confused 😞

Anyone got any suggestions ?

Thanks.

I would. Mine constantly leaked until I put a non sensor cap on.

The bellows prevent leakage by sealing the reservoir whilst still allowing the fluid volume to expand and contract with piston travel, temp etc.

I think most people fit the bellows for track days and refit the standard cap when back on the road. I didn't want to run the car without the low level warning indicator operating and spent some time looking at the fit between the cap and casting. A bit of fettling and it improved a lot - added a sock around the cap and have not suffered from any leaks to date.

Edited by AlastairA