Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Doors/sidescreens refurbishment

• Area Representative
Posted (edited)

The doors on my car are in reasonable condition except that the material inside the part that bows out to give elbow room has become loose and saggy. 
I have armrests fitted and to gain access I have removed the armrest and slit the material where the armrest is located and this will be covered when the armrest is refitted. I thought it would be as simple as spraying some glue in to reattach the material to the door. However  the material is thin and glue can easily soak into it and show on the inside of the car. Not very successful as the inside of the door is a bit like hardboard and over the years is quite “dusty”. Second attempt was to try and secure using double sided tape but the “dust” doesn’t allow thinks to stick to it. 
Has anybody successfully carried out a similar repair? I’m thinking I need to find some sort of size/primer and then a suitable glue. Any ideas/recommendations?

Edited by paul richards

11 minutes ago, OldAndrewE said:

Perhaps prime the 'hardboard' with external grade PVA, that should seal the surface and allow the double sided to stick

That would be my suggestion too - seal and stick…

• Like 1

• Area Representative
38 minutes ago, SLR No.77 said:

Double sided sticky tape.

Tried tape but doesn’t work on “Dusty” surface. 

• Sad 1