Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.8k Coolant level

Terry Field

1999. K series. It seems to dropping more quickly than I would have expected. I put in well over 1/2 pint today after 150 miles fairly ordinary driving.

Checked the hose tightness ( all silicone), nothing showing in the oil, and no obvious leaks or damp patches. Should I be looking elsewhere, or is this normal?

There is mention somewhere in the archives that the first port of call for unexplained coolant loss is to check/replace the expansion tank cap (I had a similar issue as i could see coolant residue on the outside of the tank).  I'm unsure of the quantities and speed of loss through evaporation/leakage, but replacements are relatively cheap and worth eliminating if you haven't already done so. 

Jonathon, I topped it up last about 3 weeks and 150 miles ago when I took it for its MoT.

Dan, can’t see anything on the cap but I will keep an eye open.

At least I know now that it is not normal - why would it be?

Sorry Jonathon, I didn’t fully answer your question. Over the last couple of years with not much mileage, say 1000 road miles, this is probably the second or third time I have topped it up with a significant amount. 

The next place to check is the coolant rail just above the exhaust - the rear gasket can leak sometimes due to front fixing being away from the head. When its tightened it affects the mating face.

Lots in the archives.

The last work done was 2 years ago when Classic and Sevens removed the sump to clear the old foam baffle.

Nothing on the water rail or under the water pump/engine that I can see.

i will have a closer look tomorrow