Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Go-Race Caterham Column with Go-Race Quick Release - Fitting Advice?

David_Stamp

I have been researching the Go-Race Caterham Column with Go-Race Quick Release feature to eliminate the small movement that the standard LifeLine quick release exhibits. There is a decent Caterham Club discount which adds to its attraction. Changing over to the Go-Race Caterham Upper Column should be straight forward, but who has done this already, what issues did you face, and what tips do you have to make it easier?

Loosening the original column at the column joint should be a few minutes work, but how tricky is getting the new column into the top bearing, and were there any problems with the locking steering column feature?

[I have looked at previous threads here which have very good comments about the Go-Race kit; none of the earlier threads mentioned any fitting issues so that is why I am asking now - are there any issues?]

All advice very welcome!

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 18.03.30.png

Edited by David_Stamp
Extra comment in brackets added

Evening David

I fitted one about a year ago, very simple took about 30 minutes. No real issues (I don’t have a steering lock) but just be careful passing it through the top and bottom bushes, I sprayed mine liberally with Silicone spray and it slide in nicely 😜

Really pleased with the Go-Race unit, no play whatsoever unlike the LifeLine I replaced. 
Guy

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Doc007 said:

Do you have to weld the QR part to the top of the steering column?

No... it comes with the column fixed to the QR mechanism - see here

One of these is on my wish list…

Edited by BigCol

Thank you to all the responders so far.

The liberal lubrication with silicone is a good tip, plus making sure the lockable steering is definitely unlocked - i guess that is what the long machined slot in the new column is for - presumably for the lock mechanism to engage with. My column nylon bushes appear to be in good condition, so I won't need to replace them I hope (but I know Redline Components should have them anyway). Has anyone changed the nylon column bushes - I saw somewhere that this was a tricky/awkward job??

My car is an SV but I recall also seeing that the S3 and SV column length should be the same - someone in an earlier thread said it was 420 mm long.

1 hour ago, David_Stamp said:

My car is an SV but I recall also seeing that the S3 and SV column length should be the same - someone in an earlier thread said it was 420 mm long.

Certainly Caterham only list one column on their parts’ site and its description doesn’t specify S3 or SV.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, David_Stamp said:

Has anyone changed the nylon column bushes - I saw somewhere that this was a tricky/awkward job??

It is, but it's always worked in the end. IIRC there are some hints in the archives. 

Jonathan

• Area Representative

David. The slot in the column in the picture is not for the lock. It is for the clamp to attach to the lower column. If you already have a removable wheel and no steering lock then removal of the column is straight forward. However if you do have a steering lock then your upper column will have a collar welded to it for the lock to engage. This collar will not pass through the upper bush so you need to remove the upper bush which can be a bit difficult and the bush could be damaged in the process. If you have to remove a column with a collar for the steering lock I found the best way was by using a ratchet strap fastened around the roll bar. Also as the bush could be damaged I would recommend purchasing a new bush before you start. Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, paul richards said:

David. The slot in the column in the picture is not for the lock. It is for the clamp to attach to the lower column. If you already have a removable wheel and no steering lock then removal of the column is straight forward. However if you do have a steering lock then your upper column will have a collar welded to it for the lock to engage. This collar will not pass through the upper bush so you need to remove the upper bush which can be a bit difficult and the bush could be damaged in the process. If you have to remove a column with a collar for the steering lock I found the best way was by using a ratchet strap fastened around the roll bar. Also as the bush could be damaged I would recommend purchasing a new bush before you start. Hope this helps.

Thank you Paul - good advice.

Maybe the best solution for me is to get the Optimill zero backlash quick release hub as sold by Sevens & Classics. Those parts are made for Land Rovers, but so are a number of other Caterham/Lotus Seven parts over the years.

The Optimill kit uses the existing steering column without removing it, and does not impact teh steering lock at all.  

https://www.sevensandclassics.com/online-shop/p/quick-release-steering-wheel-boss

Posted (edited)
On 16/03/2024 at 23:58, Iamscotticus said:

If fitting a removable steering wheel, why would anyone care to retain the steering lock?

Insurance?? [Most insurance companies would expect both an immobiliser and steering lock nowadays]

Edited by David_Stamp
Additional comment in brackets

11 hours ago, David_Stamp said:

Insurance?? [Most insurance companies would expect both an immobiliser and steering lock nowadays]

Ahh, good point. 

What part of a 7 not being an automobile do they not understand?

It's an airframe on wheels. 

Edited by Iamscotticus
  • Like 1

I fitted one of these recently and accidently pushed the lower bush out when sliding in the new column. Replacing this is a delicate operation as it appears to slot into a recess. After much swearing, I realised that the column to the UJ was not perfectly aligned, and no amount of wiggling in-situ would make the two come together. Solution was to remove lower section and fit to new column then slide the whole assembly back into the UJ. 

Note. My boss to Momo fitting was reversed, therefore, I  marked the UJ and turned 180deg. Have yet to run it down the road to check alignment (still SORNd).

Edit.

This is the slot that fits to the column.

Not sure what the long slots' function is given David's comments about the welded collar. Maybe its for wires to exit when paddle-shift or indicators are wired through column....thoughts?

2B136732-F177-4AC4-B0D9-2BEBD0233C32.jpeg.12c68b2486e9694e66ee5241b5ba8174.jpeg3B448E84-B37E-4B73-B290-F908EC7E7653.jpeg.149517cfc9c2272fac7fd0f52ddf46c5.jpeg

Edited by Phil G

1 hour ago, Phil G said:

My boss to Momo fitting was reversed, therefore, I  marked the UJ and turned 180deg.

My steering wheel has the holes as per the apices of a Give Way sign, rather than a Warning road sign…. is that the case with yours too?

30 minutes ago, BigCol said:

My steering wheel has the holes as per the apices of a Give Way sign, rather than a Warning road sign…. is that the case with yours too?

Blimey Col, had to look those signs up on tinternet....been a long time!

My Momo drilling was as per warning sign, however, the Go-Race was the opposite if you want the logo facing upwards. Not that it matters to me as i don't have a steering lock. Not even sure if a steering lock will impact the location of the column TBH (someone else may know this).

MTTG8680.JPG

Edited by Phil G

43 minutes ago, BigCol said:

My Momo wheel is the same orientation as Phil G's, but opposite to yours. I am pretty certain that the normal standard from Caterham was the 'warning sign' bolt arrangement (not 'give way'), but either version works (in your case after reversing the U/J) ... [I don't know why my picture loaded upside down, but you get the picture]CaterhamSevenRoadsport150SV_MOMOSteeringWheel.thumb.jpg.e05193d4249dcc87a9ffc2a42382dc17.jpg ...

5 minutes ago, David_Stamp said:

Can you get London Pride down under? 

Oh yes!

Last time we were there, our Aussie mate served me a bottle upon arrival and later we visited a Bottle Shop in St Kilda (outskirts of Melbourne) and they had ten different Fuller’s beers, including Vintage Ale cheaper than the Brewery Shop in Chiswick were selling it for!