Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater overhaul - 1999 K-series

JP

Hi All

I think I may have a heater matrix leak - I'm seeing wafts of steam from the top of the heater once up to temp.  I've been in touch with Clayton CC who tell me that they do make the matrix still, but they do not make the surround.  The surround on mine has become brittle - I cracked it when removing it from the car.  Can anyone offer any advice on how to gently dismantle the heater surround to get at the matrix, or would it be better simply to buy a whole new unit - assuming that the new ones fit the older cars?

Right, I think I'll close off the heater and see if there are issues with overheating in traffic.  If not, then I might just bin the heater...

I bin the heater do I just replace the 2 hoses to the heater with a single hose between the 2 take off points on the engine?

• Leadership Team

To take the heater "out of circuit" you can simply connect the two heater hoses together to create a "bypass hose" around the rear of the engine. The ideal way to join the two hoses is to use a bleed-T to make filling/bleeding much easier in the future.

Stu.

• Area Representative

Its very easy to change the old matrix for a new one too.  From memory it simply sits in the plastic surround and is easy to extract and replace.  I seem to recall buying the new one from eBay.  They are pretty generic

Edited by Nick Chan

• Area Representative

My heater case also cracked and broke. I dismantled by taking out the little plastic plugs. I then repaired the case using glue and some bits of carbon fibre sheet that I had knocking around. I rebuilt using pop rovers to replace the plastic plugs. I understand that Clayton can supply the new matrix but recall they were eye wateringly expensive. 

I think, given that the matrix seems to be the Mini one and is therefore quite cheap, I'm going to have a crack at replacing it.  Can anyone point me to a source for the correct type and size of plastic "rivet" so I can rebuild the surround once I change the matrix please?

I found this video on line which makes it look quite simple, but the part where he shows the rivets is a bit blurry...

Grateful for any help..

• Area Representative

I simply used black pop rivets (carefully). The ones I used were quite soft aluminium. You could potentially reuse the plastic ones. They work in a similar way to a pop rivet. When you remove them pull the centre out first.