Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Leak from Gearbox?

Skipper555

Hi, managed to get the car out and about yesterday after sorting on the garage for the past couple of months (so great to take her out for a drive again).

However I noticed a small amount of oil had been dropped in the garage floor over this time. Probably an area about the size of a postcard.

From looking under the car I could see a small drop of oil had formed at the front of the gearbox (see arrow in photo).

Cleaned it off last night, but then checked just now and there's another drop,  although nothing on the floor yet.

I can't see any oil around the engine itself.

Would this be leaking from the gearbox main seal at the front?

20240212_122820.thumb.jpg.2d0416fb94a48f737c5a93da1d14698f.jpg

13 minutes ago, John Vine said:

Just for clarification, that cover is over the layshaft rather than the selector shaft

Thanks for the correction John, it would be very difficult to change gear if the selector shaft was in the bottom of the box 🤭

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skipper555 said:

So at this current dribbly-rate is it a big problem?

Should I look at getting it fixed sooner rather than later to prevent oil getting onto the clutch etc.?

Difficult to advise from a distance, but if it were my car I'd monitor the quantity of lost oil and pencil in a repair within 6-12 months -- earlier if it gets worse.  I doubt your clutch is at risk at the moment.  

Are you able to remove the box yourself or would you need to enlist the help of a garage?

JV

• Like 1

Understood that makes sense.

Although I'd be happy to take the box out, I think it would be tricky to do that in my single garage as it's pretty tight in there as it is.

So I'd need to find somewhere to handle this for me, being based in the West Midlands I think the closest garage I could find is N J Potter in Leicestershire, unless anyone know otherwise.

My gearbox leaked from the 5th gear cover plate, took me while to work this out - worth a look it, was an easy fix (fiddly) to take off, apply sealant and re fix plate. It did not need the gearbox removing.

• Thanks 1

• Area Representative

Type 9GB has been known to leak from the join between the forward & rear ends (fwd round black casting & rest of casing). It then runs down the lower 'spine' of the casting & running off as indicated by the arrow in the first picture. If I remember correctly there is a gasket at that position.

Out of three K Series cars I owned two succumbed to leaking from the point I have described. Thankfully both rectified under warranty. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Finally managed to get the gearbox out of the car today. It's very grubby and seems quite oily around the front of it. I need to give it a good clean to start having a look over it, but I think it maybe a good idea to replace all the seals and gaskets whilst it's out.

20240414_155517.thumb.jpg.0aa6dc9899288529b573048d763e3831.jpg

Also, I wasn't expecting the clutch release bearing and pivot arm to drop off. Seems quite loose and wobbly so something else I'll replace whilst it's all off.

20240414_155509.thumb.jpg.6edd80a3408d9e72925900da3ca9d778.jpg

Edited by Skipper555
Added pictures

Just now, Jonathan Kay said:

Please let us know if you’d like some help? Uploading or linking?

Jonathan

Cheers. It was something funny on Firefox on Android. It is just wasn't uploading attachments. Chrome for Android worked OK. I suspect it's just my phone playing up there

Thanks for the update.

Yes, it's a good idea to get the box completely refurbed.  The release bearing show signs of loss of grease (unless all that gunge is from your oil leak).   The clutch fork should be ok provided the slot where it fits onto the pivot pin isn't worn.  And if they're worn, replace the pivot pin and plastic sleeve too.

Is your clutch cable-operated or hydraulic?

JV 

3 minutes ago, Skipper555 said:

Cheers, John.
Hydraulic clutch. The clutch felt OK to me, but I'm still relatively new to the car. It didn't slip or have any obvious issues though.

That's good. If you had a cable clutch,  I'd have suggested some pre-load for the CRB (clutch release bearing) to avoid premature failure.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can anyone recommend the best place to get the set of gaskets and seals for the Type 9 gearbox?

I've found this place (although it states the website is closed at the moment)

https://www.bearingkits.co.uk/Contact-us/I2.htm

and it looks like Redline Components have them too.

Also where should I get a Clutch Release Bearing from? Caterham or does someone do a better one now?

According to the build manual there's a plastic sleeve that goes over the clutch arm pivot pin at the bottom of the bellhousing. It look like mine's broken as that fell out when I split it. Is there a suitable replacement available from somewhere?

Finally I've read quite a bit about there being a gasket between the bell housing and front of the gearbox, but there wasn't one on mine. Or an o-ring that I can see around the selector shaft that sticks out of the front of the gearbox. Is best practice to apply a circle of Hylomar or similar around this hole so it seals against the bell housing and prevents future leaks?

Edited by Skipper555
Add comment about bearing kits website being closed

I've used bearingkits before and they've been fine.  I've also used BGH Geartech, they are good.  Or there's Chris at Redline.  Or Burtons.  Loads of choice.  I'd see if you can get it all from one place as that's going to be better probably for shipping cost.  The plastic bits on the release arm pin always crack and fall off.  New ones are available and some people use a short bit of windscreen washer tube I think.

• Thanks 1