Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High level brake light mounts

graearea

So Graham Hutton suggested I could make some high-level brake mounts for the cheap LED panels that half of us are running for high level brake lights. It turns out I already made one for the cheap LED panel that I'd bought but thought it would be a bit niche.... ironic eh? 

Anyhow, I thought I'd make something generic which people might find helpful. would anyone be interested in something like this?

image.png.3ff5bfa5bf576e04f1ea765da40b5d6f.png

it'd be made out of a flexy rubbery plastic (TPU) and attached to your rollbar/cage with VHB tape (I can supply this). The flat bit would be 12x20mm (or whatever is needed)and  they're made so that the bottom of the LED is in line with the bottom of the cage, so that it isn't covered by the half-hood and isn't sticking down into your rear vision.

the ones I made for myself have holes in that take brass fittings so that they can be attached with M5 bolts:

image.png.53e5409e4e5b56b0f93ebd15e2f899ae.png

not sure about price, £15 including p&p? a fiver more for the ones with brass fittings as they cost money and effort.

led recommendations:

I bought these: https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/led-third-brake-light-red-lens-280mm which had mega-short cables so you'd need to extend them and life is too short.

I then bought these: https://www.sevensandclassics.com/online-shop/p/high-level-brake-light?utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer_notification which came with nice long cables, but they had tabs which I can't see in the picture.

J

Edited by graearea
increased price as life is too short. I'll honour original price for people that already ordered.

6 hours ago, SLR No.77 said:

What diameter roll bar will they fit?

Stu.

you tell me!

measure your bar, add 1mm for VHB and we're golden.

OK. let's make them and see if they work. can you guys goto https://forms.gle/DpTGsNrgPXGaVSZi8  and add bar/cage size and your addresses and we can see if it's a crap idea or not. as usual, we can see if it works before I demand money! 😄

Edited by graearea

• Leadership Team

My single diagonal FIA rollbar is just under 39mm, I suspect it’s actually 1.5” plus powder coat / paint, probably 40mm would be safer to allow for the VHB tape. I've sent the details through on the form.

Stu.

Received mine today. I’ll let you know once I’ve fitted them. Offered them up earlier and they fit the rollbar perfectly. 

Also I was surprised at how rubbery that TPU was. I was expecting something far less flexible. 

I was waiting for an invoice or something to come through aswell. How much do I owe you?

• Leadership Team

Mine arrived yesterday, I’ll try them on the car this week to confirm the dimensions.  
Much more flexible than I expected which is ideal to allow them to be opened a little to position them before adhering to the bar.

Stu.

let's see that they work and you're happy before you start sending me your inheritence 😄 they are prototypes after all.

there are instructions on the website for paypal or if you pm me I'll send you my bank deets.

• Leadership Team

Test fitted on a single diagonal FIA bar and they fit great. Ever so slightly undersize which is fine with the flex in the material, oversize would be an issue.

YHM.

Stu.

• Thanks 1