Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replace Saddle Bush?

BigCol

A potential job for me this winter is to fit a Quaife lever to my Type 9, 5-speed gearbox.

If I was to get around to doing so, should I fit a new saddle bush at the same time (seems prudent whilst I’m there)?

If so, would there be a preference for a brass or a plastic one.

🤷🏻‍♂️

I replaced my nylon saddle bush with a brass one last spring. Gives a firm and positive gear change that shouldn't degrade with use. Mine took a few tens of miles to wear in as it felt a bit too stiff to start with, but feels great now.

• Leadership Team

Are all brass saddle bushes the same or is there a preference for certain suppliers? (Or need I ask, Neil🤣)

I’m intending to fit a different ‘box in the spring and plan to fit a new bush.

Stu.

1 hour ago, SLR No.77 said:

Are all brass saddle bushes the same or is there a preference for certain suppliers?

After the positive comments of the brass version, that’s my next question…!

Amongst others, Burton Power list one, as does Steve Perks of TracSport fame.

Given Steve should be working in my diff (again!) soon, that would seem to be the logical purchase route for me.

• Like 1

Mine was from Burton Power. Given this is a pretty niche product there can't feasibly be more than one manufacturer making them, so if I were buying one again I'd simply buy from whoever had it cheapest, on the basis that all the suppliers are likely buying from the same factory.

I have a little play in the gearstick on my 1996 type 9 box.  I don't think I've ever given it a second thought or even noticed it - but now I know I want to change it!