Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aftermarket carpets

PlastererPete

Has anyone used an aftermarket company for carpets for there seven?

I could do with a new set of forward carpets in my CSR for each footwell and have found a place that will do them for £75. But before I pull the trigger I thought I’d ask here if anyone has personal dealings with any?

Cheers. 

i have trolled through the forum with the search function but there only seems to be mention of trimming SV mats to suit.

Edited by PlastererPete

In the VW Transporter world, Rugs For Bugs and Fat Bobs Emporium are the places to go for van carpets. They will make to measure and bespoke pieces. Not used either but wouldn’t hesitate buying from them.

Two trapezoid shaped carpets with edging and one heel pad shouldn't be too difficult for them!

Also, they have different grades of carpet - I’d describe the OEM Caterham carpets as ‘entry’ level!

Edited by Wrightpayne

2 hours ago, Wrightpayne said:

I’d describe the OEM Caterham carpets as ‘entry’ level!

YES! Most definitely! 😆

The current ones I have are fitted with poppers, so hoping to replicate this but with something a bit more "luxurious" than the current 17 year old 6ply bog paper that came from CC.  Its only a road car so weight wise I'm not too worried. 

I've got a manual hammer type tool coming to fit the poppers and various sharp implements. I like the idea of the masking tape though, hadnt thought about that to mark the indentation of the existing floor popper. Cheers. 

I've had a look at Redline and they want £30 each for "Long" footwell carpets so the £75 for these doesn't seem too bad :-

https://www.carnoisseur.com/products/details/autostyle-tailored-car-mats-to-fit-caterham-7-94-22255-3266

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would update this. 
I purchased the “diplomat” set of mats from Autostyle and although they are fine quality mats, the fit wasn’t great. The original ones lap up the side of the footwells slightly and cover the bare ally skin. They also didn't have the relevant cut outs in certain areas. 

So decided to make myself a set and bought PVC backed carpet from ebay:-

PVC Backed Carpet

Arrived on a roll and its pretty decent stuff. Slightly better than the standard stuff so should last well. 

I asked for a heelpad on the Autostyle ones but it was half way down the mat so unstitched it. 

My own ones havent got a heelpad or binding as the the ones that came with the car when my late father purchased it didn’t have either so just did a like for like replacement. Theyve been on the car for the past 12-13years and lasted ok, just a bit tired. 

The old mats vs the autostyle ones. You can just about make out where the heelpad was placed and compare it to where my heels actually rest:-

IMG_3384.thumb.jpeg.1125e0ea0de7338f34e84dd79ade89bc.jpeg

Edited by PlastererPete