Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Instrument casing repair

Stephen Long

How good is the fit when you hold the bits together?

If it's very good I'd clean with isopropanol and then try cyanoacrylate (Superglue).

If there's any space that needs filling or a poor fit then I'd clean with isopropanol and then try epoxy (Rapid Araldite).

They would both work much better if everything is warm.

Whatever the adhesive I'd use something to hold the pieces together while it's setting... a cushion and some strips of masking tape might be enough. A clamp might be possible. 

Happy Christmas

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

• Area Representative

All credit to you Stephen in trying to repair it, repair is preferable to replacement.  

How you hold everything in place while the adhesive takes is critical (as JK mentions).

But after couple of tries, replacement is in order, whether like for like or something different (which means it won't match 😟) is your decision.

Edited by Golf Juliet Tango

I had exactly that problem on my 2008 car:

Brokenfuelgauge_1a.thumb.jpg.a3b8b35cbeab7122845e47683d2ce9cc.jpg

Superglue worked fine for me, but the trick (especially with non-porous materials like plastic instrument cases) is to ensure at least one of the surfaces to be stuck is moist, as cyanoacrylates require water to trigger polymerisation.

I didn't need to clamp anything as the glue sets very quickly.

JV

522 RC Tyre glue is great for plastics. As the name would suggest its good for sticking rubber tyres to plastic RC wheels. I’ve used it numerous times to fix flappy rubber over-moulding back on power tools. 
For god sake don’t get it on your fingers it’ll stick them together faster than you can blink.