Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mirrors for Aeroscreen

Graham Hutton

I'm going to take the plunge and have a go with an aero screen and would really appreciate some advice with regards to mirrors. Santa Claus is going to buy the meteor motorsport clear perspex screen but I need to sort some mirrors. Firstly, on my normal setup I have the flat centre rear view mirror and convex 'door' mirrors which are great for visibility but a nightmare for reversing. Was thinking about maybe a convex centre mirror and flat side mirrors. Secondly, which mirrors to buy. The Caterham ones only cost a trillion pounds so does anyone have recommendations that would work with the meteor aeroscreen? I'm quite excited to have a go and see what it's going to be like 🙂

• Like 1

Congratulations on taking the plunge.  It will be a journey of discovery, and you will love the extra sensory stimulation that it brings! 

I too have the clear screen which i really like, and mirror wise i have a convex centre mirror and flat side mirrors (Both are SPA).   I like the centre convex one and use it more than the side ones due to vibration.   My screen was second hand so the mirror holes were already drilled, but had it been new i would have mounted them a little higher up the side of the screen to give better clearance of the bolts to the scuttle and also better angle to the rear arches.

The next decision will be head/face/eyewear.  Plenty to experiment with depending on your usage and risk appetite.  Either way it will bring a new dimension to your drive!

I run this mirrors black shell convex glass mounted on the SLR cage, no centre mirror, I found the tall version blocked line of vision and the short version offer sod all rear view, 

Mirrors

they also offer carbon or cabon lookalike versions too.

Eyewear with ballistic rated lens and a head band, a decent optician will reglaze suitable sports glasss with suitable lens, asked them for a 40% brown tint it makes everyhing pop, and really improves driving vision, I had a second clear  pair made for night driving too, mine are also prescription.

Not sure where you are but Duncan at Andrew Jelly opticians in Tenbury Wells is great  *thumbup*

Until recently, I had these mirrors on my aeroscreen - they’re very light, much easier to adjust than Spa mirrors and give excellent vision. 

I now have these, which offer all the benefits of the others but are a bit more subtle.

(it means if the former ones appeal, I have set that could be for sale!)

Edited by BigCol

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice. I'll probably wear my crash helmet mostly Dan as to be honest I quite like driving in it.....dunno why....but preferable to a pigeon in the face I guess!

Those motamec mirrors are really cool, much nicer than the race tech ones I have on my windscreen at the mo. Not sure if I want to buy your original ones BigCol. They are a little bit of an odd shape. Do you have any pictures of them on the car?

I have the clear Meteor Motorsport aero screen, bought for track days. I initially fitted a convex mirror to the centre and flat near side and offside. On track I just couldn't gauge how far back any following cars were, so I've now changed to flat centre, flat offside and convex near side. The latter because I just couldn't adjust the mirror to get a good rear view. I use the Racetech mirrors, they are a far more reasonable price.

I have both the motamecs and the Spa. I wouldn't buy the motamecs. the clamp IS superior, but the mirrors are not as convex and they suffer from the narrow view as the caterhams (not quite as bad, but not great).

I have a comparison here:

and I can sell you gaskets/shims to turn the curvy bit of the screen into a flat surface for the clamp. I also sell little friction cups to stop the on/off nature of the spa clamp bolt.

6 hours ago, BigCol said:

Yup!
The extra bit reduced the turbulence for me - it’s a standard rubber profile from Car Builder Solutions.

Would you have a link to the item at all? just to make sure i get the right one.  I think this is worth a try!  also does it need gluing in place or is there sufficient friction to hold it on at speed?

Edited by Dan R

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everybody's input on this. I have had a lovely day in the garage and fitted the meteor motorsport aeroscreen that Santa gave me along with BigCols old mirrors and the uberniche curved shims. Very happy with all of it so far. It looks very exciting and I can't wait to go for a drive in it once I've got through all the other winter jobs. The visibility seems so much better than the  windscreen and I am sure it is loads better than the carbon one too 🙂

Not quite the 20minute job some people claim though. I'm not sure I would want to be making the switch from windscreen to aero screen having driven to a track day as it is quiet. faff taking off the knee trims to get to the windscreen bolts and the heated windscreen connectors etc. Anyhow, fingers crossed fro some dry unsalted roads soon.

image.thumb.jpeg.7b5fb12a7eddc6d5342ccfd8e1dc2def.jpeg

• Like 1

• Area Representative

Not quite the 20minute job some people claim though

I never trust the assessments of time taken offered here. A "five minute job" is in reality closer to 15-20 minutes, possibly with extra time for cleaning tools & putting them away let alone cleaning oneself. 

• Haha 1

• Leadership Team

Yes - the nuts are welded to the retaining channels. The knee trim can stay in place, so it saves a lot of hassle. Worth getting.

when fitting them, you insert washers underneath to get them to the right height so that the holes align.

One thing to check - make sure there is enough space for the channels to fit. My first seven was no problem. On my 2018 academy Seven the left hand side has something in the way. I bought the car 2nd hand - so it might be my car is different than others.

Simon

• Like 1

• Leadership Team

There is a threaded stud that comes us from the chassis rail. You just bolt the new retaining channel to this (using washers to get the right height).

You'll find an existing retaining channel in there which can be taken out (or I just inverted it and put the new one on top).

Simon