Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sterling Immobiliser Fob

Stu Smith

1 hour ago, Dave Hardcastle said:

If you have a K-Series style Lucas fob, I used this service on my previous Caterham. It couldn't have been easier, and far cheaper than Caterham as well.

Thank you Dave..It was the Sterling fob. I’ve now sourced one from Motor Solutions and cheaper than ‘out of stock Caterham’.B28719CB-D677-4024-A298-A3906997A648.thumb.jpeg.a9c4f0320e5c4204b86190a979e4d69d.jpeg

So had my Cat to Northampton Motor sport  and on its return the immobiliser is not working.

They despatched their electrical guy to me at a not an in insignificant   distance to rectify the problem. After several hours it was determined the Sterling module had gone faulty. The car will start without the fob but subsequent the immobiliser light will not flash but remains very faint.  He checked  for bad earth and went through the wiring but the conclusion was the Sterling module is faulty. It maybe a replacement Sterling kit is required. Have to say Northamptom Motor sport have been excellent in trying to resolve this issue

1 hour ago, Beagler said:

So had my Cat to Northampton Motor sport  and on its return the immobiliser is not working.

They despatched their electrical guy to me at a not an in insignificant   distance to rectify the problem. After several hours it was determined the Sterling module had gone faulty. The car will start without the fob but subsequent the immobiliser light will not flash but remains very faint.  He checked  for bad earth and went through the wiring but the conclusion was the Sterling module is faulty. It maybe a replacement Sterling kit is required. Have to say Northamptom Motor sport have been excellent in trying to resolve this issue

Thanks but not a fob programme issue.

Edited by Beagler

the fobs are pretty reliable, theres nothing but a chip in them, a common problem in the immobilser not disarming is the small white plug in the aerial loom workes loose and the pins loose contact, clip the plug out and solder the wires, they aren't polarity sensitive and then ensure the aerial is in a loop making it easier to to waft the fob underneath, CC wrappedsome aroundthe coloumn making disarming a littel hit and miss.

I must confess I am amazed at Northampton determination to resolve the problem with my non functioning immobiliser but this is to their credit. I am not electronically proficient to know whether  it is a faulty immobiliser unit coincidental to the taking of the power supply from it to power the new ECU or a faulty immobiliser unit. Doubtless all will be revealed in the fulness of time. I get the impression NHMS are determined to resolve it because of future customers with the same immobiliser and every credit to them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2023 at 09:03, Stu Smith said:

To program the new fob you need the working fob that’s already paired up.

I do have one working fob, but it got me thinking what would happen if no working paired up fob was available?

Edited by Beagler