Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure Drops on Revving

spsm11

Hi Folks, 

2003 R300 K Series (dry sump, gold oil pump)

My oil pressure gauge has started dropping out when I rev the car, it displays a good pressure at idle but above about 2000 RPM the gauge sometimes drops to zero (with the car being driven or revved out of gear). Please see the video below. Any ideas why this might be? I am using the standard oil pressure sender which I know can be dodgy, but I haven't found anything about this failure mode before...

Thanks!

The way that drops off so abruptly at about the same engine speed every time screams sender failure to me. The sender just has a wiper that moves along a variable resistance track. Looks to me like the track is broken or worn and above a certain oil pressure it just disconnects and reads 0 again.

• Area Representative

Sounds electrical, Mind you years back, Our new TVR with a ford cologne engine had the same issues, I'd run it in (remember those days!) then suddenly pressure dropped to 0 when we hit 3k, let up the accelerator it came back to normal, thought it was electrical, but no it was the oil pump! New engine. Had to run it in again.

Good luck, keep us informed.