Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Winter storage

Roearn

I'm close to completing my 270S build, and starting to think about it being laid up during Winter. It's in a brick and concrete garage. Can any members give me advice on best way to keep damp at lowest costs out of the building. I'm thinking along lines of some sort of trickle heater placed beneath the car.

Thanks,  Roger.

I think if there is a damp issue within a garage you have two choices.  I reduce the possibility of the damp I.e. insulate and heat,  or cocoon with a inflatable (various options exist).  The choice will be dependent on the possibilities associated with the garage.  For example my garage it was better to replace the garage doors, to remove the drafts, it was already installed because it's linked to the house, and moving the boiler into the garage gave a small level of heat that keeps the damp away.

• Area Representative

As ChrisC has posted - Air Chamber/Carcoon arrangement.  There are several options available. 

In my view nothing else comes close. I wish I had purchased one ages ago.  I run mine off 110VA leisure batteries as there is no power in the remote council lock up garage.

Recommended reading https://autoclassicastorage.co.uk/what-is-a-car-bubble/

My garage is away from the house with no power, so heating it is out. I used to get terrible condensation. However, I put a new roof on it just over a year ago and kept the soffits completely open keeping a good flow of air at all times. I've only had a very short lived condensation issue once since. 

When I say condensation, I mean on the large metal parts of the car like the engine and wheels. You'll get that in any detached well ventilated (unheated) garage if the outside air warms up a bit after a cold spell. Those parts of the car stay cold and the increased water content in the warmer air entering the garage condenses on them. A small tubular heater under the car will raise the temperature just enough for that not to happen.

As I said, it's a cheap and simple solution. If you want to spend more the next level up is a Carcoon to control the humidity, and beyond that is a heated, insulated garage. Personally I think Carcoons are ugly and take up a lot of space in the garage. A heated, insulated garage would be lovely, but would cost £££.

I was wondering if I could get a low draw 12v tube heater or similar and run it off a large car / van battery. Just unsure of how long I'd get before recharge and potential damage to battery being constantly depleted. Albeit lead acid not great in cold conditions, so perhaps lithium? Don't know???

Battery storage calculation as above.

Which leaves the source of the energy... solar panels, fossil fuel generator (exhausting to outside), carrying the batteries to a mains supply (with or without a trolley)...

Or run a mains supply to the garage.

There's lots of useful discussion of these in the archives.

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Ben - have you looked at the suppliers offering Club discounts?

https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/membership/special-offers-members/quality-car-covers

https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/membership/special-offers-members/hamilton-classic-car-covers

I used to have a Hamilton one for the 21 but sold it on once I bought the Carcoon.

Hi Stephen,

Those covers do look nice, but I'm wondering whether I can really justify buying one.  My garage is not the driest, but it's not overly damp - I'm not sure that I really need such a nice cover.  I like the idea of this if it's a cheap and easy solution.

Stephen - I think the solution of 55W heater and an indoor cover is fine - I just am not sure if I really need to.  With a lot of things, it's just about peace of mind, but I'm trying nowadays to avoid buying unnecessary bits, which then just gather dust for most of the time.  Will give it some thought.