Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel nuts

jody391

Sorry guys it's a 2005 on KN 13 wheels with Didion axle

its and ex academy car if there are any differences.

also whilst on the wheel but topic, torque settings at 75nm seems really low! My Elise was 85nm which again always seemed low?

on the A52 coming back from a drive over Grantham way the road is concrete and in sections, when I got back I checked the car over (one of my first drives out) and the wheel nuts were loose!

on that year its also worth checking you have the longer wheel studs, my previous 2006 car had long ones on the uprated front hubs but short ones on the rear.

Studs lengths are 47mm long (ideal) length, whilst the original short ones which offer insufficient thread engagement are only 40mm this equates to 28mm or 21mm of thread protruding from the hub / flange.

Short ones are useless for alloy wheels. Suspect they were originally used for pressed steel wheels, and never changed. When we got our car, the 32mm studs allowed nuts to engage by about 3 turns. I argued this was a dangerous engineering practice, as nuts should be fully engage. CC wouldn't have it. I replaced all studs with 40mm, and it left a bad taste for ever.

Hi Jody,

I got some Titanium open ended wheel nuts for my 2014 roadsport. 

Thread is 12 mm x 1.5, 60 degree taper.

The Titanium wheel nuts are half the weight of the std steel short Caterham wheel nuts.  If you want some look on ebay.com, the US version.  I believe the nuts i have are from a Chev Camaro, sorry i don't know the model year.

Cheers