Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight?

anthonym

OK so I have one, an old R500K and it's very light, love it. I also have a non Superlight even older BDR and it weighs a ton (imperial) by comparison. 

I've seen it said that Superlight just means lighter bits one can bolt on, like seats and whatever (not sure what else). Indeed I have added CKR500 seats to the BDR but it makes no difference aside form my comfort.

Without ever having known it seems to me that the added lightness comes from carbon fibre replacing glass fibre everywhere, or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Granted the K engine is weigh lighter than the 711M BDR.

Anthony

Didn't the R500K have some magnesium bits, maybe the bell housing or something? I'm sure I remember reading that as well.

I'm not sure the chassis is any different to another car of that era, but could be wrong. It did seem to be a collection of a lot of small gains across a number of areas.

• Area Representative

The superlight cars were deliberately a basic but known specification and definitely supported the "Add Lightness" mantra.  However, depending on the original owner, the spec could be modified from new so we see Superlight cars coming out with wipers, heaters, windscreens, spare wheels (or at least their carriers) and, heaven forbid, paint.  

Some cars came out with GRP panels to save money over their more costly carbon fibre equivalents.  The R500 chassis did have a weight saving with the strengthening bracket for the spare wheel deleted and I expect the aeroscreen only variants (there were two) have the bracket for the wiper motor excluded plus the wiper washer/buttons deleted from the dash layout for obvious reasons.

On the whole though as Anthony says, the desirable items are add ons.  I was going to say cosmetic but that wouldn't be correct for the LSD and dry sump systems

I'm not sure what the spec sheet is now but back in 2012 for Superlight R300 R400 R500 you could add lots of weight including full weather kit, according to how you spec'd the car.  The only excluded items were spare wheel & carrier, cloth seats, c/f seats with alcantara trim, Motolita steering wheel, Supersport pack and academy race pack.  I remember meeting one guy who had just bought a Superlight CSR and he arrived with windscreen, leather seats and a heater *biggrin*.  I would say that the main weight saving items are spare wheel, seats and windscreen ... and the one that is always overlooked ... diet *biglaugh*

I attach a 2012 spec sheet but unless Jonathan can work some magic, the website usually reduces any uploaded images

David

CSRspecsheet_1.thumb.jpg.6331fa4a23e6b4e9f30ec222597a8e1b.jpg  

• Area Representative

My R400D 'Superlight' was offered as standard with rear carbon wings, carbon dash, carbon 'door' sill protectors, carbon aero screen & Tillets. No carpets.

BUT due to SWMBOS protestations for touring I had to opt for a windscreen, full weather kit & Type S leather seats. I also opted for a carpet kit which I lined the tunnel with due to anecdotal stories of people leaving skin behind on the bare metal. 

This increased the dry weight to approximately 466Kgs.  With full tank, driver & oils approximately 560Kgs. So much for being a 'Superlight' !

Interesting thread!

The order spec for my 2008 R400D ran like this:

R400orderspec.jpg.304d57e9f960c12e151ea667c1df826e.jpg

A "1" in Col4 indicates "selected".  Like Geoff, I added lots of weight for general comfort when touring, although this was my choice rather than Mrs V's, who very rarely rides as passenger anyway.

CC (via Jon Vicker at Millwood) agreed to swap carbon front wings and q/d Momo wheel for silver instruments on a cost-neutral basis. 

JV

• Area Representative

Very interesting to see some of these upgrade prices from 15 years ago.  The carbon kevlar seat options look excellent value as does the carbon rear arches/nosecone one

This has been an interesting subject for me as well.

I have a R500k n umber 19 - I asked Martin about the history of mine and the rumors that the chassis of the R500 had bits taken off etc.

The reason was I wanted to add side impact protection but I discovered the boss at the top rail (3 point seat belt boss) was missing.

Martin checked and the answer came back that certain things were removed for the R500s. but it was not documented as was the way back then.