Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma Radiator alternatives

Graham Hutton

I'm on my second radiator failure now on my 310R and I've only done 7500 miles. The first was replaced under warranty and the second has blown in exactly the same place (top corner where the cores meet the top section.

Anyhow, got me thinking if there are any decent alternatives to the standard Caterham one. I see there is one by Radtec where the cores run horizontally rather than vertically. Anyone have any experience of this one or indeed any advice on other alternatives. I have been pretty diligent in fitting it to make sure there is no tension in the bobbins causing a twist in the radiator.

Do your thing blatchatters.....

• Area Representative

I fitted a Radtec in March, runs a bit cooler but build quality is fantastic.

They also advise blue coolant IAT rather than OAT (red), saying they only see failure with pin holes in those with red.

Radtec will also make you a vertical version if you prefer it. Having the tanks on the side make it stronger for the mounting.

Get your fan size correct and the mounts will be welded to the radiator. The fan mounting brackets are then not required.514CB7C2-32F1-4CF1-AAC2-4A43314545AF2.thumb.JPG.cf664d60747f1fb3890da3b1d7863c44.JPG

B031F0E5-8676-4938-9711-C763C5F3A02B.thumb.JPG.a8865ff57ca822b04640ebf4076a2b89.JPG

DerekH

Thanks for that Jonathan. A very interesting set of reading. So, on my 310r I am going to fit a 60mm radtec with 11" fan fitted super carefully with shims if required, and stick with the orange OAT coolant that Caterham specify. 

i guess my logic is that I'll be providing the best cooling system and protecting myself against any failure risk to the relatively cheap rad rather than the engine etc. 

I think I'll also add a full coolant drain and flush both the engine and rad to my winter service schedule. 

I wonder how long it'll be before I'll  be back on here talking about a rad failure......

thanks for everyone's contributions in this. It's been an interesting thread