Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Checking CSR Oil Level

Nick Chan

• Area Representative

For one of our local members who doesn't do the internet.

How do CSR owners check their oil level in the dry sump system?  Following the manual and getting the oil up to temperature, he is then switching off and taking the dip reading then.  It was slightly low so he put in a half a pint (his words) and it didn't make any difference so he put in another half a pint.  It doesn't seem to have made any difference.  I think this is the way to be checking wet sump cars rather than dry sump ones.

So how do CSR owners check their oil?

TIA

Nick

Hi Nick, I check mine by topping up around 200ml at a time, then driving the car and checking the catch tank.

Then keep on adding small amounts of oil until some oil is deposited in the catch tank.

Regards Ben

• Area Representative

Thanks Ben / Pete - a small fill up and checking the oil catch tank is similar to how I'd check my DS cars but the CSR manual apparently gives different guidance.  I'll let him know to add a bit more of a pint or so more! :)

• Leadership Team

Replying to #5

Unfortunately, Matt, that video has no relevance to the CSR260 configuration which is substantially different.

I tend to use the 'add till it comes out into the catch tank' method.  Not ideal but, hey.

And with CSR engines (and the 260 in particular) it is best to err on the side of caution by making sure that, if anything, the engine is a tad overfilled.  They do tend to use a fair bit of oil in everyday use, let alone on track.  Too many of these Cosworth built engines have been wrecked by running low on oil...

James

• Leadership Team

That's a good point, Mick (though important to point out that the dipstick is not used with the oil cold and having drained down).  The original (ca 2005) dipstick was superceded by a later specification in 2006 that encouraged a greater quantity of oil to be in the system and my notes say:

"The updated dipstick is made from 5.0mm diameter stainless steel rod, which is 58cm long up to the lifting ring (ie: total length), 24cm up to the maximum level and 21cm up to the minimum level."

So a minimum of 8.25" and a maximum of 9.5", as Mick says.  My advice is to aim for the maximum reading!

James

• Leadership Team

And, for completeness, here is the Technical Bulletin wording issued by CC in 2008 after having released the updated dipstick:

"OWNER TECHNICAL UPDATE NOTICE

Update number 002 Date of release 07/01/08
Applicable to CSR200 and CSR260. Build period – all CSR ENGINE MAINTENANCE

We would like to remind owners of the additional maintenance requirements of the high-performance Cosworth engines in the CSR200 and CSR260.

The Cosworth engines are hand-built race-tuned units and as such require a little more attention than a mass produced engine. However, with this attention, the engine will continue to be a strong and reliable power plant, as proven in the CSR Masters race series, where the near-identical specification regularly runs at race speeds in extreme heat, on slick tyres and for extended periods with only routine checks and top-ups – clocking up thousands of circuit miles.

The key criteria for the Cosworth engine is the oil level. A special revised dipstick was introduced in 2006 and issued to all original owners, along with detailed instructions for checking the oil. The dipstick is identified by its single-piece metal design, looped end and machined flat section. If you do not have this item, please contact Caterham Parts.

The oil level should be at the top of the flat section. However, on the CSR260 engine which uses a race piston, and in common with other hand-built engines, each engine will vary slightly and if the engine is not breathing some oil into the catch tank (which it should), we would recommend finding your own level above this.

After a track session, you should expect just a small amount in the bottom of the tank. If you’re not getting this, overfill the engine at approximately 250ml a time, until you get this. Oil levels should be checked after every track session (assuming 20 minutes of track time), which is good practice for all cars! We would also recommend checking the oil level every 500 road miles.

James Gibson
Service Manager, Caterham Cars"

Despite all of the above, I still use the 'add until it overflows into the catch tank' method!

James

For completeness, these are the 'detailed instructions' referenced above.

As everyone above says, Ive never been able to find a consistent method with the dip stick. If you do it immediately after switching the engine off as some suggest then the oil is way above the flat. Wait 10/20 mins and it's in the region of the flat but varies by at least an inch from one day to another! I just pop a few hundred ml in every 500miles and ensure it blows out of the catch tank.

Mind you, thanks to a Premier Power re build it barely consumes any oil at all now.

Oil Level Checking (Weekly or 500 miles, whichever sooner)
With the engine warm, but not running, remove the combined cap/dipstick from the top of the black ‘swirl’ tower at the rear of  the engine. This dipstick should no longer be used to measure the oil level. The replacement dipstick provides a more accurate and consistent oil level reading.

Insert the longer, looped-end dipstick; into the tower, ensuring that it passes through the hole in the internal plate and touches the bottom. When it reaches the bottom, the groove at the top of the dipstick, just below the loop, should almost line up with the top of the tower or be within about 10mm of doing so. Removing the dipstick will allow the oil level to be read from the flat 
section (which is approximately 215-245mm from the bottom). The oil should leave a continuous trace up the dipstick to this point with no aeration.

Don’t forget to replace the original combined cap/dipstick before running the engine.

• 4 weeks later...

I have only just noticed this thread and can't really add anything other than the diagram below showing the new dipstick with measurements.  I used to use the catchtank method on my first two CSRs but my present one doesn't seem to spew any oil out so I have reverted back to engine up to temp. switch off and check with dipstick; I think my Garage checks with engine running. 

The first post by Nick above brought back an amusing memory, I was doing last minute checks on my first 2008 CSR prior to traveling to Outer Hebs., I had only recently bought the car and just checked the oil level as with previous cars with engine cold.  I put a pint in, checked and nothing so added another pint and still nothing on the dipstick at which point I decided to start the engine up and it was like striking a new oilwell ... oil came out of the catch tank under pressure forcing it's way out through the two breather holes in the catch tank cap!  The garage roof was dripping with oil and it took me the rest of the day to clean everything up.

Another amusing event was when I collected the car from Nick Potter at Tebay Services.  After signing various papers he handed me a dipstick and I asked why it wasn't located in the engine.  He said there was a dipstick attached to the underside of the swirl tower cap but this was an additional one and didn't know why I needed two but he had been told to hand it to me.  I joked that it was the first car I had owned with two dipsticks.  When I got home I queried the matter with James Gibson and he said Nick should have explained it to me that the new dipstick had been issued because the old one attached to the swirl tower cap was incorrectly calibrated and had led to some engines being topped up with insufficient oil and had seized up!  I eventually discovered on the old BC site a post by James Gibson providing additional Owner Notes 1, 2 and 3, James has posted No. 2 above. My 2nd and present CSR does not have a dipstick attached to the underside of the swirl tower cap, it was provided separately and I sheath it in a piece of heater hose attached to the scuttle.

David

DipstickCSR.jpg.d6f222d6e97820b528004b14e8959ce7.jpg