Click here if you are having website access problems ×

annoying transmission clunk

Grindrod

Do they all do this ;

Accelerating / decelerating ; I experience slight clunk/ snatch from somewhere along the drive train .

Other than annoying , doesn't seem to affect performance .

Is there a method of checking what this might be /

Or do they all do this ?

Car is 2003 1.6 K Seies

Many thanks

When I bought mine, 2005 S3 K Series, it had a clunk coming on and off power from the diff. At first I was told they all do that but mechanically I knew it was not correct. When Road and Race Transmission opened the diff you could see the shaft holding the planetary gears had elongated the hole in the planetary gear carrier. The carrier was replaced and solved the issue. Diff still whines on a light throttle though.

My 1.6k had a transmission shunt and clunk when I bought it. It was easy to kangaroo at low speed. I learned to drive around it, partly by twisting my right foot slightly into the footwell side to reduce throttle movement when it happened and by trying to be ultra smooth on the controls. After a time I managed to avoid it happening to often and it stopped being a problem. 

I had some engine mods done including a new ECU and it disappeared instantly. What I had assumed had been a mechanical issue appeared to be resolved with different engine mapping.  

Hi

thats interesting ; ECU mapping . I notice you mentioned you had a new ECU .

I believe you can also have the original ECU mapped and can make a difference to engine characteristics . 

The transmission clunk isn't excessive , just annoying.

Thanks

Paul