Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ear defenders again

Andy Tims

I know this subject has been discussed a few times, but from my reading so far, generally with more technical requirements including intercom / bluetooth etc. 

I'm a bit old school with my music & I have a huge collection on my old iPod classic that now has a 256gb SSD. 

I just want some simple ear defenders to wear over my wired ear buds so I can listen to music on long journeys without having to crank up the volume too much. 

The ear defenders need to work with glasses / sun glasses. 

Recommendations from personal experience much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Area Representative

Andy,

Peltor Opitime III are the best. Circa £30 online.  Basis for the JAL ProCom headset that I use all the time.

Derek

I use the Honeywell Howard Leight Noise Blocking Stereo earmuffs. 
They have built in speakers so you can plug in your iPod (or phone) and not need ear buds I.e. they are wired and not Bluetooth. Okay over sunglasses. Currently about £28 

Update - I bought the Honeywell 1030111 Howard Leight Noise Blocking Stereo Earmuff's. They do a good job of canceling out the buffeting, even with me wearing glasses / sun glasses & I can plug on my old iPod. The sound is a bit tinny, but quite acceptable & I don't have to have it too loud.

Thanks all for the input.

• 2 months later...

I'm in the process of trying to workout the best ear protection for driving my Sigma powered 7 fitted with a peashooter exhaust.

I'm thinking 3M Peltor Opitime lll ear defenders I don't wish to listen to music or have any intercom so would the Peltor X5A be just a waste or a better ear protection?

Another thing to consider if you want the over the ear type is if you wear glasses/sun glasses?

Wearing glasses can reduce the advertised noise reduction level drastically, especially on cheaper models. The better quality ones aren't as bad as they often come with an option to fit gel ear cups which mold around the arms of the glasses better.

Obviously may not be a problem, but worth consideration.