Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tips for undoing and tightening rear hub nuts without brakes fitted

JP

As the title says really. I'll check to see if my hub nut socket fits through the centre hole in my chocked 13" wheels, but if not does anyone have any other good tips?  Having searched the archives, it seems that some may have had success by placing a drilled 1m metal bar over 2 wheel studs and wedging the other end against the ground to prevent movement.  Does this seem to work and if so, how thick a bar should I order so that it is strong enough?  (Currently looking at 5mmx25mmx1000mm, but thicker options are available).

I used steel angle, probably something like 40 x 40 x 5mm. 1m might be a bit short.

And I drilled it so that I could fix it on the studs with nuts.

Jonathan

PS: Check that you're forcing the car into the ground rather than lifting it off the stands, the LH nut has a LH thread, some now need a 42 rather than a 41 mm socket, and sockets and torque wrenches are available in the Equipment Register.

Thanks all. 

I've now checked and it is a 41mm nut and my socket does fit through the centre of my 14" wheels. 

So I guess I should be able to loosen the nut with the wheels on the ground and chocked and turning the socket to push the car into the ground.

When I rebuild it will be with new hubs and brakes and so I guess I should be able to do most of the job with the wheel on again with final torquing down done with an assistant standing on the brakes...

No doubt wishful thinking...

#6 Thank you Roger.  Let me attempt it first with a breaker bar, but if I get in to trouble, I'll be in touch - thank you for your kind offer.

#7.  I have not got new nuts for reassembly.  I thought that as this will be the only time they have been removed since the car was born, they would be good for another use.  Is that unwise?

I think I'll order some new 41mm ones from Redline, but re-use the current ones until my rebuild is finished and the car is back on the road and running properly in case I find I need to remove the hubs again for any reason...

Thanks for all the tips.  Changed my rear hubs, brake discs and wheel studs today.  I've reused the old hub nut for now while my rebuild continues - in case I need to remove them again.  Once I'm happy with everything I'll change for new nuts.